CCR Pixel Strip IC Type

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
While visiting another ACL member, I saw that he had a CCR controller driving a CCR strip that had been cut into sections to form a 5 x 10 matrix. As soon as I saw the strip, I was pretty sure it was almost identical to the LPD6803 based one another ACL member had sent me to figure out the connections.

I had an ECG-PIXAD8 sitting here so thought I have a go at getting it to drive the CCR strip. The CCR strip uses a 12V supply as well as clock and data, so as long as I got the 12V and ground connections correct, the worst that should happen is that it wouldn't work. (famous last words!)

To limit the possible damage, I hooked up just one piece (10 pixels) of the CCR strip to the ECG-PIXAD8. I then configured the ECG-PIXAD8 for 10 pixels and LPD6803 pixel type, rebooted it and it worked. Sweet!

Now, I have not tested the CCR controller with a 3rd party LPD6803 strip yet as I simply don't have one. (It went back to that member a week ago) I do however have a string of 50 LPD6803 pixels. As they are 5V, I'll need to supply power to them separately, but share a common ground with the CCR controller output of course.

I'll post again once I set up the CCR controller and the second power supply, which should be in the next couple of days. :)

kel

Dedicated elf
5.gif
2.gif
3.gif

:D

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi David
Most interested if the CCR controllers work with generic LPD6803 strip. I just happen to have 3 spare LOR controllers as I am using my existing 6 CCR strips as 3 pairs, 1 controller / pair. If these controllers work with generic strip, then I see Ray Wu has such strips at $67 / 5m strip (12V) http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-470258603/5m-IP68-LPD6803-led-dream-color-strip-DC12V-input-can-be-used-in-the-water-30leds.html while the LOR replacement CCR strips are $169.95 http://store.lightorama.com/cocorireri.html. Ray's strips also have a better waterproofing (IP 68) which should also make them more robust as it includes full impregnation of strip in sheath. (Assuming it is same as other 5050 strops I have bought).
If they work with the LOR controllers, this option would make the expansion of my pixel strips a lot cheaper and easier.
Look forward to updates.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Well I decided to hook up a couple of pixels of 6803 RGB strip to see if the strip would actually work and in fact the strip does work so its looking like it is the 6803 IC in the CCR, but heres the catch the strip i have does not run as RGB from the CCR controller but instead its GRB so if your looking for a cheap replacement then its not ideal unless you are able to choose the RGB arrangement in software.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I think that some of the "generic" 6803 strip also have the colours that way too. It just depends on the exact 5050 RGB LED they use during manufacture. The same issue happens with the DC RGB strips.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Yes i got 2 different types of rgb strip in the same delivery and had to cross wire between 2 connections to get correct colours

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
I think that some of the "generic" 6803 strip also have the colours that way too. It just depends on the exact 5050 RGB LED they use during manufacture. The same issue happens with the DC RGB strips.
Yes so it may be a matter of finding 6803 strip that is RGB not GRB

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
So i now checked the CCR dimming curve against the 6803 genric strip and the dimming curves are exactly the same
The 6803 is 5 bit with 32000 colours and the CCR is advertised as 2 million colours which would make that 7 bit so that has me slightly confused, im sure there is something i may be missing.

kane

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
Well I decided to hook up a couple of pixels of 6803 RGB strip to see if the strip would actually work and in fact the strip does work so its looking like it is the 6803 IC in the CCR, but heres the catch the strip i have does not run as RGB from the CCR controller but instead its GRB so if your looking for a cheap replacement then its not ideal unless you are able to choose the RGB arrangement in software.
Just on the whole RGB order thing, David @ LSP has mentioned that the choice of all combinations of R, G & B will be available in 2.0 (currently only has the choice of RGB or BGR).
In my assortment of modules & pixels (2801 strips, 1804 pixel strings, 1804 pixel modules), I have at least 3 different combinations.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
kanebullen said:
Fasteddy said:
Just on the whole RGB order thing, David @ LSP has mentioned that the choice of all combinations of R, G & B will be available in 2.0 (currently only has the choice of RGB or BGR).
In my assortment of modules & pixels (2801 strips, 1804 pixel strings, 1804 pixel modules), I have at least 3 different combinations.

Yes this is correct but the issue lies with those using LOR S3 and looking at adding extra strips to their CCR controllers as i dont think that LOR S3 supports the changing of RGB order like LSP, i may be wrong.