Running LOR Controllers in a DMX Universe

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Here is the Running LOR Controllers in a DMX Universe presentation that was used at the Sydney and Brisbane minis.

This presentation gives graphical instructions on how to connect up your LOR controllers running in DMX mode with other DMX devices.

Attachments

• Running LOR Controllers in DMX mode.ppsx
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,707

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm now at the point where I need to run both my lor and dmx controllers at the same time. My only problem is that I can get it to work. If I'm right in my thinking then basically to get controller number 1 to work under dmx is to ensure the firmware is upgraded to at least 3.20 with my CTB16K boards, make a crossover cable as detailed in the wiki and then I should be able to get the "Lights Up" software (also detailed in wiki or somewhere for testing dmx) to fade the 16 channels up and down. So far I've had no response with lights up and the red status led is turned off 100% of the time which isn't 1 of the 3 flash modes I've seen listed.
Any heads up on how anyone else has got an AC board running under dmx would be appreciated. Failing that in a few hrs it looks like I'll be running both a dmx network and a lor all over my 1/2 acre front yard :(

Thx in advance.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I'm not familiar with lights on program but i can tell you that when you connect the LOR controllers to dmx signal the status light will go steady OR out. either is fine. you can get it to go steady by removing the data cable and plugging it back in sometimes. I would say you do have it connected right, but would see if you can get the status light to go steady

cwbotner

New elf
All;
Can I set the LOR controlller ID using the DMX setup, or do I need to purchase the LOR dongle? (I would rather not buy a $60 dongle just to set the IDs)
I understand the Documnet attached to this post, Thank you, but I did not see where it covered setting the unit ID.
1)The slide in the Doc that says to use the software or the onboard switches, but My controllers do not have the switches. i guess I am unsure if I can use DMX to access the software to set ID's or Upgrade software.
2) It states that you cannot use the shimmer and twinkle on the controllers if using DMX... Can you use it in the LSP software? or is it just completly unavalable to be converted through DMX?
3) Is the RJ45 adapter that David_AVP sells for this purpose? to go from the DMX controller (j1sys D2) to the 1st unit? then it is just regular RJ45 pin pattern from LOR controller to LOR controller?

I plan on using 1 port of the D2 to control my LOR controllers, and the other to control my RGB floods, and HolidayCoro products.
Please asssist..
Thank you.. :D

garyh

New elf
cwbotner, I had to use the LOR dongle to set my LOR controllers ID. Since you use the LOR software to do so I believe you can only do it with a LOR dongle--but not totally sure about that one.

LOR shimmer and twinkle are LOR effects built into the firmware. You can't address those firmware effects on DMX, but you can simulate them in your Light sequencing software. So you are not losing the capability of doing them, you just have to use software instead of doing it via hardware.

This link explains some of it: http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf

Don't forget you'll need to make a crossover cable to send the DMX to LOR. DMX standard is pins 1 and 2, LOR standard is pins 4 and 5.

miked

New elf
I am running Vixen this year and running it through E1.31 / J1 Sys ECG-D2 and have 320 channels - as per attached layout. I have set the LOR DMX addresses ( universe 2). I am out on my channel count for the controllers eg the first controller should start at 241 but the sequence for that controller starts at channel 243. The next controller at 257. I am not getting any lights on, on the LOR controllers. Other universe is OK. I would have expected that as soon as the 2nd controller sees channel 257 it should light them up. I'm lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

miked

Attachments

• miked 2012 layout.doc
    234.6 KB · Views: 109

kane

Dedicated elf
miked said:
I am running Vixen this year and running it through E1.31 / J1 Sys ECG-D2 and have 320 channels - as per attached layout. I have set the LOR DMX addresses ( universe 2). I am out on my channel count for the controllers eg the first controller should start at 241 but the sequence for that controller starts at channel 243. The next controller at 257. I am not getting any lights on, on the LOR controllers. Other universe is OK. I would have expected that as soon as the 2nd controller sees channel 257 it should light them up. I'm lost. Any help would be much appreciated.
So I assume you've set the controllers to be on those specific channels - ie LOR Unit "11" to be DMX channel 257? (as per the link in the post above yours)

And I'm assuming the D2 is definately setup to output Universe 2 to the second output? (perhaps post a screenshot of your D2 configuration to be sure)

But probably the main thing I would be checking is the wiring - obviously you can't use a standard Cat5 cable to go from the D2 to your LOR gear - you need to get a cable to swap between the standard wiring used for DMX and the LOR wiring - there is info on the wiki on this. A quick way to check this would be to unplug the cable and see what the onboard LEDs look like. Then plug the cable in and see what changes.. If there is no difference, then I'd be pointing the finger at your cabling..

Cheers

Kane

miked

New elf
Kane
Thanks for the reply.
I have been out trying to re-configure my channel count. I am not very computer literate so it is a real exercise. Yes I have configured the unit numbers to 11 ( 257) to 15 as per Eddy's sheet. I have attached the plugin screen shot ( I just realised that is not what you suggested - you were suggesting the D2 universe set up - I will have to check that). I have a David AVD RJ45 adaptor plug in line before the first controller and that universe ends in an LOR controller. I have tested everything in LOR software/ hardware facility and all lights operate. When I am playing the sequence the controllers change from flashing red light to solid and go out sometimes. I believe they are getting data.
Regards
miked

Attachments

• Plug in set up J1Sys D2.png
    Plug in set up J1Sys D2.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 142

jimmy61

New elf
I don't know if anybody has asked this stupid question yet or not so here i go : what exactly is gained by going with DMX verses regular LOR channels...?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The reason i use my LOR controllers in DMX is because i have them mixed in the same network as DMX controllers that are all driven from an ECG-DR4. This means i only have to use the one E1.31 interface from my computer to a E1.31 to DMX converter and then have all my LOR boards (which i got before i went DIY) running in the same network, so this saves on wiring.

bhasse

New elf
I have been doing tons of reading lately and maybe I am just confusing myself on an issue. I think I am getting a pretty good handle on E1.31 but I am looking for some clarification and/or verification on my set up for 2013. I have been using LOR since 2006 and in 2012 I successfully added some RGB DMX elements from holiday coro. Each of these elements used their own 3 channel controllers and were daisy chained together. I used a LOR USB485B for the LOR controllers and another USB485B with a conversion cable to switch the data pins from LOR to DMX for the DMX elements.

For 2013 I intend to add pixels and strips using the E1.31 protocol. I plan to use the ECG-P12R for pixel control. I would also like to continue to use my four 16 channel LOR controllers and the holiday coro elements with the 3 channel controllers for them. Since 2006 I have been using the LOR advanced sequencer. I am testing other programs including HLS which appears to make working with pixels and thousands of channels much easier than it is currently with LOR.

So, the clarification I am looking for is how to connect it all? Do I need to use something like the ECG-D2 to connect the LOR controllers (DMX mode) with the conversion cable and the daisy chained 3 channel holiday coro controllers? Or can these just be connected to the port switch that I will use for multiple ECG-P12Rs? This is assuming that I choose to use HLS or something other than LOR, or just decide to run everything through E1.31 to limit the amount of connections to my computer.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bhasse said:
I have been doing tons of reading lately and maybe I am just confusing myself on an issue. I think I am getting a pretty good handle on E1.31 but I am looking for some clarification and/or verification on my set up for 2013. I have been using LOR since 2006 and in 2012 I successfully added some RGB DMX elements from holiday coro. Each of these elements used their own 3 channel controllers and were daisy chained together. I used a LOR USB485B for the LOR controllers and another USB485B with a conversion cable to switch the data pins from LOR to DMX for the DMX elements.

For 2013 I intend to add pixels and strips using the E1.31 protocol. I plan to use the ECG-P12R for pixel control. I would also like to continue to use my four 16 channel LOR controllers and the holiday coro elements with the 3 channel controllers for them. Since 2006 I have been using the LOR advanced sequencer. I am testing other programs including HLS which appears to make working with pixels and thousands of channels much easier than it is currently with LOR.

So, the clarification I am looking for is how to connect it all? Do I need to use something like the ECG-D2 to connect the LOR controllers (DMX mode) with the conversion cable and the daisy chained 3 channel holiday coro controllers? Or can these just be connected to the port switch that I will use for multiple ECG-P12Rs? This is assuming that I choose to use HLS or something other than LOR, or just decide to run everything through E1.31 to limit the amount of connections to my computer.

If you want to just convert to all E1.31 then the ECG-D2 at $77 can give you 2 universes, one universe per output this means that you could use one output for your LOR boards and the other output for your holiday coro items.

Or you could just use one of the dongles you already have and combine your LOR and DMX gear into the one DMX network as explained in the presentation in this thread. You have options, you just need to decide the best path for you. But you cant run the DMX gear from the P12R

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Just thought I'd chime in with my setup.

I have 3 LOR controllers that are hooked up (daisy chained) with one USB485B.

I then have 3 DMX controllers that I have hooked up (daisy chained) with another USB485 (DavidAVD's one with isolator).

I then have a P2 hooked up direct to ethernet port of computer. This year I will be getting 3 x P12's as well so I will be using a network switch to hook up all the E1.31 devices and keeping the LOR's and DMX controllers hooked up as is....with USB485's.