" Lights Up! " DMX Light Control Software

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
When I was looking for something simple to drive some DMX controllers via an OpenDMX interface, I came across one called Lights Up! on sourceforge. It's quick to install and simple enough to use.

Anyway, I thought it worth mentioning as it can be used for testing DMX controllers and setting start addressed on the DC48, Tiger 48, etc.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Hmmm... I thought that program showed the DMX channel values, but it seems not. Still handy for testing controllers.

ewanh

what goes here?
and here i was going to all the trouble so I could set DMX values.... I just spent 15 minutes trying to work out how, only for you to tell me it doesn't work... :D

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Here's how to use the "Lights Up!" software to test a DC48 (or similar) DMX controller with an AVD USB485RJ-ISO dongle:

1) Connect the USB - DMX dongle to the PC and DMX controller.

2) Confirm that the power LED on the USB485RJ-ISO is on.

3) Press the "DMX Connect" button on Lights Up! and confirm that the Tx light on the USB485RJ-ISO starts flashing rapidly. The Rx light may also flicker a small amount.

4) Confirm that the DC48 power LED is on (steady), the mode LED is flashing (slowly) and the DMX LED is flashing rapidly.

5) Click the sliders icon (or click View > Scene Control) in Lights Up! to open up the set of faders.

6) Assuming your DMX controller is set for start address 1, moving the faders in Lights Up! should activate the associated channels on the DMX controller.

7) If you got this far - go yippee! If not pop into chat for some help. :)