Mysterious raids around the world

Bird

LOR user
Top story in the news today :

Mysterious raids are taking place around the world on companies that do window and glass tinting. These unexplained raids are not about money or the tinting products but the tubes the tinting products are rolled on. The tubes are 3', 4' & 5' (.9m, 1.2m & 1.5m) long with a diameter of approximately 3.1" (80mm). They are white in appearance but have an opaque see through nature to them.

Some tinting companies have the tinting product rolled on other types of tubes, but only the companies that have this opaque style of tube are being raided.

This is what one tinting store manager had to say during an interview; "We can get a 25 cent return deposit for these tubes if we save them but we normally throw them away."

Suspicion is starting to grow that the raids are due to an unknown group of people that are said to have an affliction called Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem, becoming commonly known as CLAP. This affliction causes these people to do unusual and strange things throughout the year however the affliction seems to be more contagious towards the end of each year. The full understanding of CLAP is yet unknown.

It is rumored that these people are trying to devise a clear plastic coupler for the tubes and trying to bend the tubes. To what end is again unknown, but talk on the street is that they intend to bring happiness and joy to the rest of the world.

Although at the moment, there is no clear reason for these weird raids, in time we will find the answers for this unexplained phenomena.

Stay tuned as we will bring you further news updates as the developments unfold.

Tube raided from store
100_4280.JPG

Tube out of box
100_4281.JPG

Tube standing on end cap. Couple of small screws and we have a post.
100_4282.JPG

There are lables on the inside of the tube that need removed.
100_4283.JPG

Lighting test
Light tube test

Benslights

Dedicated elf
look forward to what you post next Bird. what a great idea. now to find all the local tinting places

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
That is excellent and looks awsome in that tube. Thanks for doing the comparison. Now to find some tinting shops to see if i can scam any.

Steve22537

Full time elf
Excellent Bird, thanks for the video. Any chance of seeing the window Tint Tube with individul pixels lite with different colours (colors).

ps Dave and Mike I bags all the window tinting companies from Welshpool to Cockburn areas.

Steve

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Hmm sounds like i need to start attacking some of the small places in the country close to me for them tubes.
would the tubes themselvs be UV protected?
has anyone thought of using them for the F.A.S.T snow tubes?
great find

Slite

Full time elf
That is awesome!

Though I dont think we have those kinds of businesses up here in the cold, dark north. But those tubes has to come from somewhere... :)

swfraserau

New elf
I have access to a supply of these a work. I had actually grabbed one a few weeks ago with the idea of putting lights into it just like this (though I didn't have any idea about what could actually be done with RGB stuff back then). I will have a look tomorrow to see what is left there.
On a side note I have a question. Has anyone done anything like using 90mm stormwater pipe cut in half, with a strip of Corro over the front? I would like to do this for the veranda posts of our house,which are about 5m high, and I would like a softer, diffused look, rather than a thin line of pixels.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Without even doing it I would say it would look great and that is a great idea. I used coro purely to diffuse all my RGB strip this year and i was very happy with it.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
swfraserau said:
I have access to a supply of these a work. I had actually grabbed one a few weeks ago with the idea of putting lights into it just like this (though I didn't have any idea about what could actually be done with RGB stuff back then). I will have a look tomorrow to see what is left there.
On a side note I have a question. Has anyone done anything like using 90mm stormwater pipe cut in half, with a strip of Corro over the front? I would like to do this for the veranda posts of our house,which are about 5m high, and I would like a softer, diffused look, rather than a thin line of pixels.

Now there's an idea.....
I believe that dmoore did something similar but only using coro and from memory it looked quite good.

Cheers
Phil

Robbo

Full time elf
before seeing this tube I was going to go with pvc pipe with strip facing up but have coro behind it to deflect the light similar to how the wall washers work :)