CCP vs Ray Wu (am I missing something here?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazydave

New elf
Has anyone heard any info on LOR's e1.31 compatability and if it will require additional hardware or will the LOR RS485 speak e1.31?

DougieB

Full time elf
Dave
I very much doubt the 485 will be able to talk 1.31. E1.31 is a network protocol and, except for controller cards that are 1.31 capable (ie DR4, E681 etc), the only ohter hardware you will need will be network switches to distribute the data

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Yes.... No

Bit of technical guff.................

ANSI E1.31 is a international Standard. E1.31 is (Streaming DMX over ACN)

Architecture for Control Networks (ACN) is a suite of network protocols for theatrical control being developed by Entertainment Services and Technology Association (ESTA). The first official release is formally referred to as ANSI E1.17 - 2006 - Entertainment Technology - Architecture for Control Networks.
It was designed as a replacement for DMX as the control protocol for lighting systems and can be used for controlling more complex devices like video playback servers (media servers) and audio mixers. The protocol is designed to be layered on top of UDP/IP and therefore will run over standard, inexpensive Ethernet and 802.11 (Wi-Fi) network links.
ACN relies on UDP in order to pass its messages. Where reliability is required, the Session Data Transport sub protocol allows semi-reliability of only the latest value for a particular "channel".
-------------------

Yes, because E1.31 is an actual standard therefore the physical implementation must follow the standard and the data will be sent over normal network connections.
What LOR does at a software layer for licensing is another issue.

No to the USB485, because of answer one above :)

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Additional hardware will be required IF you need to convert from E1.31 back to DMX, LOR has hinted at their own 4 port unit for this and as dougie said you will need network switch to distribute data.

Otherwise if you are getting into Pixels then you could just use a standard E1.31 Pixel controller plugged into the network switch

Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Back to the Original question in Post1

YES you are missing something in my opinion.

You have compared a sale price to an off the shelf price, until LOR provide a retail price with shipping it is unfair to compare the pricing.

Some other limits to the CCP come to mind, the control electronics and power are in the middle of the string, hardly ideal for use on megatrees. doesn't appear like the strings are extendable and based on photo's in the LOR forum i wonder just how good the pixel waterproofing is though they do look to be resin filled just not very well.

Be very interested to do pricing comparisions for different scenarios typically used like megatrees, matrices, arches etc, when we have retail pricing.

Cheers :)
Phil

jonnyci

New elf
So if I get this right, if and when it becomes available for LOR.... if you want more than one E1.31 device, you would have a CAT5 cable from your PC to a multi-port hub (switch). Then from your hub, you would have CAT5 to all your devices? Along the way somewhere between the hub and your device you would be injecting power for your pixels? - if that is what your device is controlling

Do I have it right? ???

neilric99

Full time elf
power injection is need for your pixel strings, so from your e1.31 controller you have pixel strings/strip plugged into the output ports, for 5V pixels every 50 or so pixels you need to inject the power into the string. with the max strring length for data purposes being limited to 1 DMX universe (170 pixels)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
jonnyci said:
So if I get this right, if and when it becomes available for LOR.... if you want more than one E1.31 device, you would have a CAT5 cable from your PC to a multi-port hub (switch). Then from your hub, you would have CAT5 to all your devices? Along the way somewhere between the hub and your device you would be injecting power for your pixels? - if that is what your device is controlling

Do I have it right? ???

Not far off at all, but the power injection is to do with the actual lights that are running from the controller and have nothing to do with the data network. So in a nut shell a string of lights will loose voltage along the cable depending on load and length, this can have an effect on the colour at the end of your strings especially with white as white takes the most load to run. So power injection would be needed between strings that are connected together and with some strings also at the end

You can see some drawings of different ways of injecting power to your lights by downloading the ACL Running Pixels with the P12R and refering to page 11 and 12

Timmydatoolman

New elf
I'm new here and trying to figure this out, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
The one diffreance no one has adressed is control level. If I am understanding correctly the LOR CCR's are controled pixel by pixel. The Ray Woo strips appear to be controling 3 pixles at a time. Am I right?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Some of Rays are in groups and others are pixel by pixel - I have not used them in my display but have a sample of both sorts here from Ray

Crazydave

New elf
Re: Re: CCP vs Ray Wu (am I missing something here?)

Timmydatoolman said:
I'm new here and trying to figure this out, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
The one diffreance no one has adressed is control level. If I am understanding correctly the LOR CCR's are controled pixel by pixel. The Ray Woo strips appear to be controling 3 pixles at a time. Am I right?

CCR is 3 LEDs per "pixel"

50 individually controllable segments of 3 LEDs each

As for the CCP there are a total of 100 individually controllable pixels

Timmydatoolman

New elf
lithgowlights said:
Some of Rays are in groups and others are pixel by pixel - I have not used them in my display but have a sample of both sorts here from Ray

can you help me out and post a link to those that are pixle by pixle ? I am way behind for what I wouldn like to do this year, and appreciate your help.

BrianJ

Full time elf
The CCR is 50 channels (RGB) which is the same as Rays inexpensive strip:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

If you are interested in a more high def version then that the strip linked below is 160 channels (RGB) over the same 5 meter length.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-WS2801IC-256-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_465132154.html

As well as being just over twice the price you need to allow for a pixel controller with the capability of running as many strips as you require.

I would think that a j1sys ECG-p12r with 12 of the more expensive strips would make a very nice 12 ribbon flat tree.

Note: Each RGB channel is three channels so the less expensive strip at 50 channels is really 150 channels and the better strip at 160 channels is really 480 channels.

Timmydatoolman

New elf
I would think that a j1sys ECG-p12r with 12 of the more expensive strips would make a very nice 12 ribbon flat tree.

Note: Each RGB channel is three channels so the less expensive strip at 50 channels is really 150 channels and the better strip at 160 channels is really 480 channels.

I was thinking of using a E681 to control 12 of the more expensive ribbions, being new to pixles can you tell me will this work?

BrianJ

Full time elf
you need to look at the number of channels the pixel controller will handle.

12 of the better strips is = 12 x (160 x 3) = 5760 channels which is the same as 1920 pixels.

12 of the cheaper strips is = 12 x (50 x 3) = 1800 channels which is the same as 600 pixels.

I believe that the E681 supports only a maximum of 680 pixels so you may need three of these boards to run a ribbon tree of the better strips.

http://sandevices.com/index.html

The J1SYS ECG-P12R will support 12 universes or 2040 pixels so one of these boards should run that number of ribbons.

http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p12r/

Also if you are new to pixels there is a discussion/mini conference on Pixel Controllers coming up this weekend. for more information on that check this link.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2428.0.html

Also if you have not done so download and read the AusChristmasLighting Manual ... it has invaluable amounts of info inside.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.