CCP vs Ray Wu (am I missing something here?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Timmydatoolman said:
I was thinking of using a E681 to control 12 of the more expensive ribbions, being new to pixles can you tell me will this work?

I have a question as I would like to understand why.

Why would you consider an E681 over a P12R, I see this all the time and i just can't understand it.

The E681 is a 4 universe, 680 pixel controller vs the P12R, 12 Universe, 2040 pixel controller.
Is it the 16 outputs?
Fully used you are limited to 42 pixels per output whereas the P12R can drive 170 pixels across all 12 outputs.

I'm sorry i just don't get it.

Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Timmydatoolman said:
I would think that a j1sys ECG-p12r with 12 of the more expensive strips would make a very nice 12 ribbon flat tree.

Note: Each RGB channel is three channels so the less expensive strip at 50 channels is really 150 channels and the better strip at 160 channels is really 480 channels.

I was thinking of using a E681 to control 12 of the more expensive ribbions, being new to pixles can you tell me will this work?

This will work, but take a look at the controller comparison chart to see what may be the best value for you and suit your needs http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2491.msg21862.html#msg21862

Remember that if using the 32 IC per metre strip then each strip will be a full universe, if making a 12 strip tree then thats 12 full universes.
If using the 10IC per metre strip then that can be 3 strips per output and will use 4 universes to make a tree

Have you looked back on this post about building a 12 strip tree for under $1000
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2383.msg20763.html#msg20763

But if your wanting strip that is single pixel per IC then there are a couple of choices

2801 8 bit dimming strip 32 individually controlled LEDs per metre - $79.00 per 5 metre strip
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-WS2801IC-256-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_465132154.html

2801 with black PCB
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-WS2801IC-256-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050/701799_519161784.html

TLS3001 12bit dimming 32 individually controlled LEDs - $68
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-TSL3001-IC-4096-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050-SMD/701799_519163368.html

2811 8bit 32 individually controlled LEDs - $70
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_585177065.html

or you can spend 1/2 the price and use 2811 strip that is 10 controlled sections per metre with 3 LEDs per controlled section - $36
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

kane

Dedicated elf
AussiePhil said:

Why would you consider an E681 over a P12R, I see this all the time and i just can't understand it.

The E681 is a 4 universe, 680 pixel controller vs the P12R, 12 Universe, 2040 pixel controller.
Is it the 16 outputs?
Fully used you are limited to 42 pixels per output whereas the P12R can drive 170 pixels across all 12 outputs.

Main reason I've got a couple e681's (and an e680) is that I wanted to build a couple kits, as it's something I hadn't done since high school (and they weren't too successful back then)

I think that pixel support is one advantage of the e68x series - at this stage, there are a couple protocols that it supports that Ed's gear doesn't (yet)..

Apart from that, I can't see why you'd go an assembled e681 (or the e682 that is about to replace it) - the "bang per buck" is not great! Also, the web interface on the j1sys devices is hugely better than the e68x - and worst still, while using the web interface, you lose one of your 4 pixel clusters (although the e682 is addressing this issue)

Timmydatoolman

New elf
AussiePhil said:
Timmydatoolman said:

Is it the 16 outputs?

Phil

Happy to help you understand my thinking!
1. i'm new to DMX and RGB
2. 16 outputs
3. comes in a kit,( I like building stuff)
4. I'm a LOR user, and I think someone on a LOR board recomended it.

Now am I still leaning that way, NO, thanks to everyone who has helped educate me :)

magii

Apprentice elf
Also, the P12R is the same price, has a much easier user interface, and you get 3 times as many channels. And it works with LOR, I use mine on LOR, and it doesn't need an additional ELOR unit to do so. Hands down, it's a much better unit. The "new" E682 that is promised will add 4 more universes bringing it to 8 total along with a price jump. Still short of the P12R and more expensive. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Timmydatoolman said:

There are some people that would rather not use specifications and facts but instead use emotions to recommend things in this hobby. Best to make your own decision up, if you look at the real information based on the facts then the decision should come easily.

Remember features like more pixel type support is only warranted paying for if you require to use that type of pixels support but the reality is over 90% + will use the main types of pixels thats are supported by both controllers.

Its great to see the choices we have but at the same time this can cause some confusion on what will work best for us. For me this is a hobby and i run a limited budget so im always looking for my best bang for my buck, thats why i now purchase the J1SYS gear and use the 2811 strip because it allows my dollar to go a lot further. Other people will have other reasons why they use a particular controller.

magii

Apprentice elf
Timmydatoolman said:

Chances are, the person "recommending" it is probably making money from it, in a business relation ship with the creator, or profiting personally in some other way as well.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
magii said:
And it works with LOR, I use mine on LOR, and it doesn't need an additional ELOR unit to do so.
The above statement is misleading - the e68x series do not need an ELOR unit to work with LOR.

No E1.31 controller needs an ELOR for pixel control using E1.31 as LOR now outputs native E1.31. Where i see the new found advantage of the ELOR is when used with the LOR standalone director cards, then this enables you to use pixels.

D

DonFL

magii said:
Timmydatoolman said:

Chances are, the person "recommending" it is probably making money from it, in a business relation ship with the creator, or profiting personally in some other way as well.

Phil is acting as an "aussie relay" for j1sys equipment..he mentions it in another thread.

Sounds a lot like the situation you are describing.

The sniping and BS I see re the whole sandevices vs. j1sys debate on both this forum, (and the LOR forum) getting old..it already made me a former member over there, has me close to doing the same here.

After awhile, one can only stomach so many j1sys infomercials.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Don

Not meant to be, sorry if it has come across that way. If you have listened to any of my mini conference presentations I will always present a balanced view and rarely mention any one product to buy unless it is in answer to a direct question and have always spoken about the E68x series regardless of personal views.

My goal has only been to present a balanced picture....

This thread is now locked.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.