CCP vs Ray Wu (am I missing something here?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazydave

New elf
Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie to this hobby...

So I've heard some much about how its cheaper to buy from Ray Wu.... so I thuoght.. I wanted to buy 2 more LOR CCP, so i started looking in to what would be needed if I were to piece together the equivelant from Ray wu

Ray Wu Version of the CCP

Items needed to make one (1) CCP equivelent:
$82 2 x 50 pixel WS2801 IP66 Strings ($16 shipping EACH)
$59 1 x DMX-SPI converter ($20 shipping)
$46 Light-O-Rama USB485 ($16 shipping)
$28 5V 60W Power Supply ($16 Shipping)
$215 Total

* these prices all include the shipping amounts listed on the website.... does ray wu combine and reduce shipping amounts? if so.. they that would make a significant difference...

Light String
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12mm-WS2801-pixel-module-IP66-DC5V-input-full-color/701799_449802558.html

DMX-SPI Controller
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LT-DMX-2801-DMX-SPI-Decoder-support-WS2801-WS2803-drving-IC/701799_509914025.html

Power Supply:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/waterproof-led-power-supply-AC90-250V-input-5V-60W-output-IP68-CE-and-ROHS/701799_486531844.html

Light-O-Rama USB485
http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html

Am I doing something wrong.... and I think it would be more beneficial to purchase the LOR CCP right?
They are about same price, LOR has better support, it works directly with my existing controllers, and it has built in macros... and a waterproof controller housing that runs on AC

Someone please tell me where i'm going wrong..
Thanks

-dave

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
Make sure to get with Ray over your order. He will make you a quote. pretty sure he will make you a combined order over shipping.

daryl

New elf
I think you want a waterproof dmx ws2801 decoder like this one..
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Mini-protocol-Decoder-DMX-to-WS2801-512-dmx-address-decoded/701799_440556828.html

Also Ray is shortly coming out with the same unit for the WS2811 standard. Those pixels are alot cheaper than their 2801 cousins. Once he does, his pricing should easily beat a CCP or CCR.

Also other thing to think about buying a Ray solution, is that you can custom make your CCR and CCP lengths and not lose any value. For example, you could make a CCR or CCP for just 2 ft buying through Ray and only pay for the 2ft.

Also later on if you decide to cut one of his, you can buy another controller and use the cut off pixels in the next project.

Crazydave

New elf
daryl said:

I saw this... but i noticed that he output showed both RGB and V+/V-/CLK/Data is that table for two different products? the picture also shows RGB only and not SPI

also the input voltage is 8-24v...so I guess I would have to get the 12v version on the strings to make it all work with the same power supply?

do you have better info?

daryl said:
Also Ray is shortly coming out with the same unit for the WS2811 standard. Those pixels are alot cheaper than their 2801 cousins. Once he does, his pricing should easily beat a CCP or CCR.

I saw mentioning of this on this forum.... I will have to keep my eyes open

daryl said:
Also other thing to think about buying a Ray solution, is that you can custom make your CCR and CCP lengths and not lose any value. For example, you could make a CCR or CCP for just 2 ft buying through Ray and only pay for the 2ft.

Also later on if you decide to cut one of his, you can buy another controller and use the cut off pixels in the next project.

This is definetly a plus too....

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Lets work out the difference between using LOR CCRs and DIY solutions for creating a 12 strip tree which many are building this year

LOR Solution

12 x LOR CCRs = 12 x $249.00

Total $2988.00

*Note Shipping costs, LOR S3 Advanced version, superstar addon and dongles not included in this cost

DIY Solution

12 x 2811 strip = 12 x $36.00 = $432.00
2 x 12vdc 350 watt PSU = 2 x $20.00 = $40.00
1 x ECG-P12R E1.31 pixel controller = 1 x $170.00
plus sundaries like case and plugs = $100.00
Copy of LSP sequencing software Advanced version = $249.00
(note e1.31 coms does not require a dongle)

Total = $991.00

* Note shipping costs have not been included. Shipping costs from Ray Wu can be combined which dramatically reduces the shipping costs.

DIY and LOR have both pros and cons with some mentioned below

LOR has very good warranty and backup
LOR is plug and play
LOR CCRs come as a complete package
LOR have good quality products.
LOR is much more expensive but requires less investment in time and knowledge.

DIY requires a bigger investment in learning and time to put together
DIY has less warranty support than LOR
DIY strip quality appears similar to LOR CCRs
The 2811 strip has better dimming than the CCR
DIY has great support via the forum

So as you can see there is a big difference in price between LOR and DIY but at the same time there is a big difference in the time and knowledge needed to do DIY compared to LOR. So a decision must be made what is valued most, time or money.

(Note, these saving are similar when dealing with 2811 pixel strings compared to CCB)

daryl

New elf
Crazydave said:
daryl said:

I saw this... but i noticed that he output showed both RGB and V+/V-/CLK/Data is that table for two different products? the picture also shows RGB only and not SPI

also the input voltage is 8-24v...so I guess I would have to get the 12v version on the strings to make it all work with the same power supply?

The output allows you continue a dmx signal if you want to. But if you buy a 512 channel decoder, you would not need to continue a dmx signal.
8-24v means you can use any voltage in-between. This would not work for 5v pixels. You would be ok using 12v pixels.
Also his waterproof miini decoders come in all flavors.. RGB, 2801, 6803 etc.. You buy the same decoder as your pixels.

Crazydave

New elf
Right now, I have already got a pretty significant investment into LOR

I've already spent 100+ hours sequencing about 10 songs in LOR S3 on 48 channels + 1 CCP
and I've already purchased 3 LOR controllers and a bunch of strings.

So i'd like to stick with what I have there, especiially since a lot of the sequencing is done already.

And I willing to expand into the RGB and pixel world ... and hopefully soon LOR will support e1.31...

just trying to learn what I can as to what the best to do... before I make additional investements into one way or the other.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Crazydave said:
daryl said:

Yes that table is for 2 different products, one is a 3 channel output and the other is a SPI output. The picture shows the 3 channel output version but the description is for the 2801 SPI version.

These controllers are very cheap and basic, they have no configuarble settings like start address or like what the ECG or E68x series of pixel controllers have. They have no output protection and can be easily damaged.

Crazydave said:
Guys have run these controllers on 5VDC without issue. The other solution is to supply the controller with 12vdc and then supply the strings with 5vdc, just make sure you connect the common (ground) between the controller and the pixels.

Personally i would use the UDCG-P2 controller which is soon to be released by J1sys, this gives you 2 configurable outputs and much better quality and is priced at $42.00

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Nowhere in this thread did i see a price on the LOR CCP package..... nor could i find a price quickly.

Apples to apples comparison for the original post would need this price

Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It seems like the CCPs are not released yet and there is no pricing details so a comparison cannot be made, this is why i used the CCR as a comparison to show the differences between DIY and LOR, but as stated, there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Dave,

Without a price on the LOR-CCP it becomes impossible to compare apples to apples.

Without a price and trying to be very fair, the CCP looks to be fair value when used as a package solution, however when doing megatrees, matrices and other higher density projects then the non LOR options will be more economical for a small outlay in time to put it together.

-------------

Daryl... the 2811 Pixels (not strip) are NOT significantly cheaper than the 2801 versions, the only real cheaper 2811 product is the 12V 10 ic/M flexible strip.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AussiePhil said:
Daryl... the 2811 Pixels (not strip) are NOT significantly cheaper than the 2801 versions, the only real cheaper 2811 product is the 12V 10 ic/M flexible strip.

Cheers
Phil

There is still a decent saving between the 2811 and the 2801, not as much as seen with the strip but still over 20% saving

2811 pixel IP68 = 46 cents per pixel ($23.00 per string of 50)

2801 Pixel IP68 = 36 cents per pixel ($18.00 per string of 50)

Edit

2801 has come down in price so this makes it more competative
2801 pixel IP68 = 42 cents per pixel ($21.00 per string of 50)

Skunberg

Full time elf
Crazydave said:
I've already spent 100+ hours sequencing about 10 songs in LOR S3 on 48 channels + 1 CCP
So i'd like to stick with what I have there, especiially since a lot of the sequencing is done already.
And I willing to expand into the RGB and pixel world ... and hopefully soon LOR will support e1.31...
just trying to learn what I can as to what the best to do... before I make additional investements into one way or the other.

Lor sequences can be converted to Vixen or Light Show Pro. LOR controllers can be used with Vixen or Light Show Pro. E1.31 is also supported by both.

Brian

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Skunberg said:
Crazydave said:

Lor sequences can be converted to Vixen or Light Show Pro. LOR controllers can be used with Vixen or Light Show Pro. E1.31 is also supported by both.

Brian

LOR controllers can also run in a DMX universe, refer to this presenation on how to set up LOR controllers within a DMX network

Crazydave

New elf
AussiePhil said:
Nowhere in this thread did i see a price on the LOR CCP package..... nor could i find a price quickly.

Apples to apples comparison for the original post would need this price

Phil

I bought a CCP during the March Sale for $199 (So I imagine regular price ~$230 to $250)

Skunberg said:
Crazydave said:

Brian

This is good news... I will need to look into this.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Skunberg said:
Crazydave said:

Brian

LOR controllers can also run in a DMX universe, refer to this presenation on how to set up LOR controllers within a DMX network

this I know... but don't you have to have some sort of device that converts DMX to RGB or DMX to SPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.