warm white out of RGBs?

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Ok, I tried searching the forum and also tried a Google search... I'm sure I could come up with something, but is there a generally accepted recipe for making warm white out of the 2811 pixels? I am still a fan of old fashioned white compared to pure white...

Thanks!

i13

Dedicated elf
I don't yet have any RGB lights but I think that could be done.

I previously did some Google searching on colour temperature (which is the difference betwen warm and cool white) and found Wikipedia's article useful. A colour temperature of around 5500°K (depending slightly on the information source) is near pure white and warm white has a lower colour temperature (for example 3000°K) making it more yellow. I suspect incandescent lights would blow before getting hot enough to shine pure white. You might just need to dim the blue of the RGB because that leaves more red and green to add up to yellow.

I've also found that some computer programs with a custom colour selector (such as the font colour in Microsoft Word) give brightness values for red, green and blue. I don't know how similar these look to the actual lights but it might be a good starting point for brighter colours.

elmochamp

New elf
In my old notes I found a formula for warm white: Red 217, Green 166 and blue 33. I have not tried it but hope it works.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You should actually play with this on the lights you are intending on creating a warm white with. The reason for this is that all LEDs are not the same, so a formula which works for someone may not look as good for someone else who is using different lights. But dimming the blue slightly will be what you need to do to get that warm white, how much will depend on the LEDs and your wants

zman

Full time elf
I had these values from another forum:
Warm White is 248, 245, 212
Antique White is 250, 235, 215
I agree with Fast Eddy, you should test on your devices.