Attaching two screens to a desk top computer

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have start sequencing and figure a second screen with the visualiser on it would be good. Trouble is my desktop computer has only one output (15 pin plug). What are my options:

1) can I rig a screen through a USB port somehow
2) can I get a double adapter plug on the output or a dual cable
3) can I install an extra video card in one of the spare slots on the motherboard

Thanks

Benslights

Dedicated elf
you can install a new card in another slot if you like or you can get another video card that has a few video outputs on the back of it.

just double check you do not already have a card that has more then one output on the back. eg vga and a hdmi output

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Yagoona. I just checked and my computer has a hdmi output and one of the screens has a hdmi output. So I assume this means if I get a hdmi cable I can hook one up with the hdmi and the other with the 15 pin cable.

dale82

Senior elf
I went without a dual screen last year, and its worth doing as it makes sequencing a bit less painful :D

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yeah, if the integrated video (motherboard) or video card has two outputs, you can use two different monitors. If you go into your video settings you can select "extend desktop", but only once you have the second monitor actually connected.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks gents. Coming at you from two screens as we speak. I use two screens at work with my laptop all the time, so I was familiar with the setup once I had them both plugged in. Just wasn't sure of my options.

Now back to work.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I believe you can actually get an adaptor to plug into your USB skt to run an extra monitor, I was looking at a new mini computer recently (for a completely unrelated use) and it had o have 2 monitor outputs, this guy was about to sell me one when I double checked to see it had the 2 outputs, it only had 1. he then went on to tell me that he would give me this little adaptor with it.
Turned out he didn't have any in stock, so I didn't get it and so can only go on what he said.
But apparently, they are available :p

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
from what i was informed a while ago..(things could of changed)
but the usb video card type thing is mainly for text based stuff.. not full of graphic's like you need for sequencers..
i could be wrong since hardware changes all the time.. but be warned..

Bird

LOR user
Question is already answered so I will throw in my opinion.
Multiple monitors ... the only way to go :) :) :)
Have 5 computers and 11 monitors (10 wide screen)
3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 1