Fixing and maintaining xmas lights

damo1271

Full time elf
I just made these pie charts for my website reflecting how I spend my time when it comes to my Xmas light show.
Does anyone else find this...

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• Time spent.jpg
    Time spent.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Problems.jpg
    Problems.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 115

darylc

404 darylc not found
How about problems caused by cheap stuff from ebay.

This year I had a lot of annoyances from cheap scotch loks and sticky cable tie mounts.. should have just paid the permium to start with!

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Don't forget to add software issues that are not really issues, just you don't think the way your software does :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I reckon I spend only a very small amount of time on fault finding and repairs.

Most of my time is spent making display elements, cable harnesses and control gear.

The time to actually put it all up if fairly small by comparison.

As for sequencing, I only do animations and they are only started once the lights are up.

mborg10

Michael Borg
On my 6m tall mega tree from 2016 pixels I have changed 22 pixels so far. 23 once the cherry picker gets here next week.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Swapped out 6 on the 2080 Pixel matrix as 4 had dropped a color and 2 occasionally flickered. A handful of other pixels and LED's probably meant out of 23K LED's I changed maybe 12, and that's an average each year.

None of my repairs need cherrypickers - they are all much easier to fix thank goodness

davrus

Silent elf
Just curious, how do you replace in-string pixels ? The wire between two pixels is too short to allow placement of heatshrink to slide onto the joins. Do you just use electrical tape ? Or do you use crimps (but then how do you waterproof them ?

My method can't be the best way .... I put an extension on each side, so to replace 1 pixel, I am doing 2x3 joins on each side.

damo1271

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
The heatshrink only needs to be 15mm long to cover the joint. How short are the wires?
I use the same method as David.
I just finished changing out 2 dead pixels. Mine are spaced 100mm apart (standard Ray Wu spacing). I cut out the dead one, split the wires, then use 15-20mm of heat shrink on each wire. I make 2 x 3 joins on each pixel - that is no extensions wires needed. I tend the cut the wires closer to the dead pixel (rather than 1/2 way between them) so I get a little slack to overlap for the join.

davrus

Silent elf
David_AVD said:
The heatshrink only needs to be 15mm long to cover the joint. How short are the wires?

Ray Wu pixels, with 100 mm inter-wire. But I do have heaps of custom ones.... with 25mm interwire (didn't realise the future problems when I ordered those.

I like to be super cautious, so I have 35mm over the join, and then a bigger heatshrink over all wires, and that one gets the silicone, and this is 60mm of 6mm heatshrink. Idea being to reinforce the wires, as well as water proofing the lot.

damo1271

Full time elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
so far out of 15000 channels I have only had to change 2 pixels

Please, what is the secret to keeping them alive?
I am swapping at least 2 per day on my mega tree and I am only testing the show atm.