Falcon FPP install onto a Raspberry Pi2 model B

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
gerry said:
Hi Phil,

There is someone on the falcon forum wanting to know how to do this. I posted that you had provided detailed instructions here.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2465.0.html

can I copy your instructions and post it there ?

Hi Gerry,

Just as easy to just post a link back to this thread, which I have just done, guests can view most of ACL so they should be able to read the thread.

Cheers

gerry

Senior elf
Thanks Phil,

As you can tell, I have only just enrolled in the other forums and am not sure who can see what (across forums) and to what extent.
But until a week ago , I was in the same situation as he is - could see lots of activity , but despite reading everything , could not see a clear way forward for the PI2 so was going to wait a bit till after the mini.

AussiePhil,
On http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2532.0.html
you posted the help to get my Pi2 working on FPP if you don't mind I posted two photos of the problem there.

What I don't know has locked me out of the Pi2
I was able to delete partition P 3 and P 2
Created new Partition 2 using 1679360 (see attached above link) that may be where I goofed up.
Rebooted the Pi2
I can still ping the Pi2 but Putty does not ask for ID and Pass.
On the Pi2 screen it is asking me to (see attached above link) and not enough memory.
Is there a way I can fix the partition 2 on the SDcard
Any help is appreciated.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
apologies Jerry,

fairly certain you have this sorted from the falcon thread

Right at the end the user fpp is created thus leading to the next login being with fpp user
User: fpp
Pwd: falcon

MrSmoofy

New elf
Followed these steps worked great however on changing the partitions

d, 3 to delete the swap partition

I didn't have a swap partition to delete, is this normal?

Additionally when FPP is installed is it formating the USB drive?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
MrSmoofy said:
Followed these steps worked great however on changing the partitions

d, 3 to delete the swap partition

I didn't have a swap partition to delete, is this normal?

Additionally when FPP is installed is it formating the USB drive?

Certainly on the few installs I ran the swap was there, but can't say if is normal... if it all works and has room to install it maybe doesn't matter,

I have only used new USB drives with installs however the USB remains readable in a windows machine, personally i would be using a cleanly formatted one and if the FP install formats it then it doesn't matter.

Cheers
Phil

lrhorer

New elf
AussiePhil said:
No worries Sean, it's actually relatively painless if you follow the steps.. the image will just make it even easier.

Well, not so much, I'm afraid. I've had to modify the settings on the RPi quite a bit to meet my needs. Trashing all that and starting over will take quite a bit of work I would really rather not undertake if I don't have to. What's more, the assumption one only wants to use the Pi for FFP is a poor one. Of course one can always keep more than one micro SD card around with various OS implementations for different uses, but that's a pain, especially when the unit is mounted in an enclosure that makes getting to the slot difficult, plus it is awfully easy to mis-lay the little cards when they are not sitting in the Pi.

Isn't there an easier way to load FFP onto a Pi (and now a Pi 2) without having to re-invent the wheel every time, and with what is now pretty much universal: a multi-boot loader?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
lrhorer said:
What's more, the assumption one only wants to use the Pi for FFP is a poor one.

Honestly it's not poor, it's entirely accurate. dedicating a Pi to FPP is EXACTLY what most people want and will do, the image file provided by the Falcon team makes this largely idiot proof for 99.9% of people.

If you are multi-purposing the Pi for other duties during the year then swapping a spare mSD card seems a small price to pay.

Seriously these things are $40 just about everywhere, considering the sheer amount of money spent on pixels etc it's not hard to dedicate one or more Pi units

scamper

Dedicated elf
I for 1 am dedicating the pi to the xmas lights, Like Phil says, $40 is a small price to pay for a dedicated piece of hardware. I can mount it in a box with the controllers instead of running a lead inside to the computer.
If I found another use for the Pi I would buy another one.

lrhorer

New elf
AussiePhil said:
lrhorer said:

Honestly it's not poor, it's entirely accurate. dedicating a Pi to FPP is EXACTLY what most people want and will do, the image file provided by the Falcon team makes this largely idiot proof for 99.9% of people.

I have no means of measuring for what percentage of people this is acceptable, and I have no desire for something that is idiot proof. I certainly cannot imagine why anyone would consider a system that locks them in to one set of software to be acceptable under any circumstances. I don't even buy routers or DVRs that can't be hacked, let alone a general purpose device like a computer. When - not if - I want to try out other applications than FPP as a player, I don't want to have to go through a lot of gyrations. When - not if - I want to use other applications than FPP as a player, I don't want to go through a lot of gyrations, either. When - not if - certain of my shows demand software that handles various aspects of DMX control that FPP does not provide, I'm no more enamored of gyrations than in the other two cases. I'm certainly am not saying FFP is bad software - not by any stretch of the imagination, but like every single piece of software I use on every platform, it does not meet all my needs. I make use of FFP, but I also make use of QLC + because it handles intelligent devices which I incorporate into some of my shows much more easily than FFP, and I make use of software I have written myself along with Open Lighting Architecture's player because it can incorporate random elements I require for some shows far more easily than FFP and more easily and elegantly than QLC+.

AussiePhil said:
If you are multi-purposing the Pi for other duties during the year then swapping a spare mSD card seems a small price to pay.

Not just during the year. Throughout the day, not only during my show development cycles, but even during individual shows. Having to go outside, open the CG-1500 environmental case, work my (very large) hands in into the space between the Pi and the environmental case, and exchange SD cards is a pain, especially since I am physically unable to bend down. Doing it multiple times a day is a major pain.

AussiePhil said:
Seriously these things are $40 just about everywhere, considering the sheer amount of money spent on pixels etc it's not hard to dedicate one or more Pi units

I'm certainly not going to dis-mount the pi from its case just to swap out software. Keeping multiple SD cards laying around and swapping them is far less than ideal. Keeping several RPs laying around to swap in and out of the case would just be silly.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
lrhorer said:
AussiePhil said:
lrhorer said:

I have no means of measuring for what percentage of people this is acceptable, and I have no desire for something that is idiot proof. I certainly cannot imagine why anyone would consider a system that locks them in to one set of software to be acceptable under any circumstances. I don't even buy routers or DVRs that can't be hacked, let alone a general purpose device like a computer. When - not if - I want to try out other applications than FPP as a player, I don't want to have to go through a lot of gyrations. When - not if - I want to use other applications than FPP as a player, I don't want to go through a lot of gyrations, either. When - not if - certain of my shows demand software that handles various aspects of DMX control that FPP does not provide, I'm no more enamored of gyrations than in the other two cases. I'm certainly am not saying FFP is bad software - not by any stretch of the imagination, but like every single piece of software I use on every platform, it does not meet all my needs. I make use of FFP, but I also make use of QLC + because it handles intelligent devices which I incorporate into some of my shows much more easily than FFP, and I make use of software I have written myself along with Open Lighting Architecture's player because it can incorporate random elements I require for some shows far more easily than FFP and more easily and elegantly than QLC+.

AussiePhil said:

Not just during the year. Throughout the day, not only during my show development cycles, but even during individual shows. Having to go outside, open the CG-1500 environmental case, work my (very large) hands in into the space between the Pi and the environmental case, and exchange SD cards is a pain, especially since I am physically unable to bend down. Doing it multiple times a day is a major pain.

AussiePhil said:

I'm certainly not going to dis-mount the pi from its case just to swap out software. Keeping multiple SD cards laying around and swapping them is far less than ideal. Keeping several RPs laying around to swap in and out of the case would just be silly.

No one piece of software meets everyones demands. The Falcon FPP project is being driven by a certain few in the community giving up their time for free to develop this and may have very different priorities to you and spending time coding something that may not be a big benifit for the programmer may mean it gets a lower prioity.
But for this hobby the vast majority would be using a dedicated PI for the task, what you are doing is not the norm within this hobby and sounds like you are involved in commercial installs which has very different needs to DIY, so that may help explain why the software does not meet your needs.
But im sure its something that is on the list, it just may not see the light this year.

But it would be nice for many to have this added flexibility

Status
Not open for further replies.