My P10 panels

gerry

Senior elf
Hello

I have my P10 panels working !
Below is a link to a short video showing it working with a few effects chucked on , but my point and shoot camera does not it any justice and probably is not keeping up with the fps.
The actual effects are very smooth and bright.

I currently have 4 panels connected to a Beaglebone running the Falcon player and running a shorty xLights sequence.
I have another 4 panels , but I need a longer flat ribbon cable (as the ones supplied were mostly tiny and good for panels side by side but too short to connect panels vertically above each other), plus need to construct a backing board to support the panels better , before adding more .

Many thanks to Darylc wjho demonstrated the entire setup at the Sydney mini and AussiePhil and others who provided invaluable guidance on installing and configuring the software which is still in beta, plus others on forums who advised on configuration details and where to get bits and pieces.

Most of all many thanks to Alan , who despite being ill, soldered the pins and thingys on the Octoscroller for me this weekend - I shall post a separate video of that on this thread !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcdikswg804im25/MVI_5395.MOV?dl=0

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Looks great Gerry and it was my pleasure.
I've now had my hands on a P10 panel and seen them in action and I've now developed a serious wanting for them.
I hope I wasn't jumping up and down too much on Saturday when we got it going. If I was I'll blame my cold and flu meds.

gerry

Senior elf
AAH said:
Looks great Gerry and it was my pleasure.
I've now had my hands on a P10 panel and seen them in action and I've now developed a serious wanting for them.
I hope I wasn't jumping up and down too much on Saturday when we got it going. If I was I'll blame my cold and flu meds.

And here is Alan getting the panel to work !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qs0nb0ohs9ylypr/VIDEO0059.mp4?dl=0

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Hey now.....did you overlay music to drown out Alan's cursing????? I could see him mumbling something..haha
;) :D :D

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi Gerry, are the four running in portrait mode in the video.
Have you tried them and looked at from a distance as to how pixelated
the image appears?
cheers Boof63

gerry

Senior elf
Boof63 said:
Hi Gerry, are the four running in portrait mode in the video.
Have you tried them and looked at from a distance as to how pixelated
the image appears?
cheers Boof63
I did not understand the portrait mode question.
Have not looked at it from a distance. Will work in a plywood back with holes etc for the connectors over the next few days and then I can move the entire assembly around better.
Darly played a Bart Simpson video on it at the Sydney mini.. Have yet to play around with image resolution and scaling etc of JPEG

gerry

Senior elf
AussiePhil said:
Great to see the running Gerry :)

Cheers

Hi Phil,
Have been following your discussions on the P5 panels, too

Now that I have this working , I was wondering how to connect the 8 panels to 2 ports of the Octo ie 4 and 4 .

Can I use the first layout below and if so , do the bottom 2 panels ie P3 and P4 be needed to be mounted upside down to P1 and P2 ? (so that the direction of the arrows on the back follows the picture ?)
I will then replicate the setup for the next port and 4 panels.

Or do I have to use the second layout and mount them all the same orientation ?

Attachments

• BBB Layout.jpg
    BBB Layout.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 26
  • BBB Layout2.jpg
    BBB Layout2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 19

cooper88

New elf
These look great! I was wondering if this setup can be used with LOR as that's what I currently use for my pixels. What hardware would be required to control the p10's

Thanks.

gerry

Senior elf
cooper88 said:
These look great! I was wondering if this setup can be used with LOR as that's what I currently use for my pixels. What hardware would be required to control the p10's

Thanks.

Hi ,
The foll link has details and links to what is required.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=7490.0

But to summarise, at this point in time , they are driven off a Beaglebone Black (running Falcon Player) with an octoscroller cape. I understand , there is a another option (aka Rons boards) but have not looked into that.
It should be possible to use LOR to sequence.

You need the seq to be saved to FalconPlayer format ie fseq. Not sure if the latest LOR does that natively , else you can use xlights to import the LOR seq and export into FP fseq format.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
gerry said:
Now that I have this working , I was wondering how to connect the 8 panels to 2 ports of the Octo ie 4 and 4 .

for a 4x4 array keep it simple and use 4 outputs
bbb ->p4->p3->p2->p1
bbb ->P8->P7->p6->p5
etc

as the bbb outputs 64 panels all the time there is no penalty for using multiple outputs

cheers
Phil

gerry

Senior elf
Hi Phil,

The octoscroller board that I have installed on my BBB only has 2 outputs as I asked Alan to distribute the header pins that I had across three boards. The others being backups.
So either I connect 4 panels to each output or remove the board that I have and put the other one on which has 4 outputs.

I was hoping not to have to try and remove the octo from the BBB this early in the game, as I don't want to damage it !! It looks and feels well settled ..

I have to make new ribbon cables anyway, so I could make them as long as required to go across ie in my second example.