P10 Panels and Power draw

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
There has been considerable talk and debate on the Power consumption of the P10 panels.

This thread is to collect data and actual readings.

I decided to test with two panels hooked up to a bbb/octo and wired with some heavy duty power cables to minimise any voltage loss.

In addition the brightness constant was changed in the fpp software.

By default this is set at 7 and we tested values from 5 to 13

The Light meter used is a Jaycar one and we can debate accuracy but all readings are relative to each other

observations:
The brightness level was linear for each change in the constant till we got to 12.
The current draw increased in a linear fashion for the same steps.
visually it didn't seem to get any brighter past 10 inside the home office.

Here's the Lumen graph
P10-2.JPG

And the graph of current
P10-3.JPG

At the maximum observe current the measured voltage at the panel power connector was 5.14V

Single panel Max current draw here is 2.35A for a power figure of 12.2W

David_AVD has measured 2.9A per panel

Both figures are in the theoretical maximums based on the constant current set resistor and the 1/8 scan rate of the panels.

It is my recommendation that all power cabling and sizing of the power supplies should be based on 3A (15W) per panel, this allows you to run higher brightness if needed, covers future changes in the default value in software, covers alternative controller options and allows a solid safety margin in general.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I set up 8 RGB P10 panels using my own controller and code. A DC clamp meter on the PSU +ve cables read a little over 23A for the total current draw.

The power was wired as 2 sets of 4 panels. Each set used 2.5 sq mm cables approx 3.5 metres long. Over that distance there was about 0.3V drop per wire from memory.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
So I will be setting up a 25 panel matrix (5x5). Based on the calculations above I will need a min of 375W 5V power supply, 450W to be safe. This would mean I will need to hook up maybe 3 power supplies, is therapy issue having different power supplies hook up to the panels, issues like you get if you did the same with pixels or are the panels power separated from each other and does not pass through the ribbon cable to the next Panel?

Cheers

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Power doesn't pass via the ribbons so multiple power supplies feeding different panels should be fine.

The 3A per panel is the absolute max they can draw, but in practice it's a fair bit less when running on a BBB setup.

That being so, I'd probably use a single 5V Mean Well supply (RSP-320-5) for 25 panels. That will give you 60A (300W) which is 2.4A per panel.

Phrog30

New elf
Interesting, my panels are from ray wu, purchased through a local vendor in the states. I'm seeing a maximum of 1a per panel. I'm testing via xlights at 100% brightness.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Phrog30 said:
Interesting, my panels are from ray wu, purchased through a local vendor in the states. I'm seeing a maximum of 1a per panel. I'm testing via xlights at 100% brightness.

Yes, running under FPP on a BBB with the default settings, the current is substantially less.

darylc

404 darylc not found
David_AVD said:
Power doesn't pass via the ribbons so multiple power supplies feeding different panels should be fine.

If this is the case, why do the panels light up (admittedly dimmer) if you remove the power cable?

Wizard

Love RGB leds
I do not have any p10's at this point. but I also see power coming through ribbon cable. 5 volts approx 1.75 amps.
My p6 and p3 panels also light up with no power connected.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
P10 panels do bleed power through the ribbon, but it's not by design. Voltage on the data lines pumps up the power rail via the protection diodes.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
David_AVD said:

The 3A per panel is the absolute max they can draw, but in practice it's a fair bit less when running on a BBB setup.

That being so, I'd probably use a single 5V Mean Well supply (RSP-320-5) for 25 panels. That will give you 60A (300W) which is 2.4A per panel.

Would one Ray/Ben 5V PSU also be sufficient? Obviously, you'd buy a 2nd as a spare but as far as daily driving, one is all that would be required? I'm thinking of a 4x4 (16 panels) display so draw would be less than above example.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
djgra79 said:
Would one Ray/Ben 5V PSU also be sufficient? Obviously, you'd buy a 2nd as a spare but as far as daily driving, one is all that would be required? I'm thinking of a 4x4 (16 panels) display so draw would be less than above example.

Should be fine.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just brushing the dust off this older thread.
My matrix will now be 5x5, however I plan to use a dimming curve in xlights around 50-65% so that there will be less power draw (and less harsh on the eyes)
Based on this I'm still assuming 1x 5v PSU will be sufficient? If it isn't enough, what are the signs that I'll need more? Panels not lighting up or weird patterns?

Also, how best to wire up the power wires? 3-4 terminal blocks between PSU & panels utilizing the wires that come with the panels? In chat it sounds like not many use fuses... thoughts? I do have 1x AAH Hexfuse which I was thinking to use on Pos side just to be safer.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Sounds reasonable to run from one "350W" 5V power supply.

You will need some for of power distribution to spread out the all those panels. Doing it via a fuse board would seem sensible.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.