Big W 2015

MarcD

Full time elf
One other observation from those photos. If the total lit length of the 200 set is 15.9 metres (18.9 minus 3m lead), then the spacing would be roughly 8 cm. The 600 set should be 15.9 x 3 plus 3 metre lead for a total of 50.7 metres. According to that picture, the total length is 32.9 metres. That works out at spacing of roughly 4.9 cm.

Why would they do that? Having different spacing on the same lights makes no sense at all.

Pircy

Full time elf
Yesterday my wife and i had our 3rd wedding anniversary. I gave her jewellery and she gave me 3 sets of Big W icicle lights. Surprisingly im happy with that. I didn't even know they were on the shelves yet. Good wife!

i13

Dedicated elf
I just went in and checked today. The bad news is that David_AVD is correct:

2015 Big W lights are not compatible with DC controllers.

Relays are about the best you can do.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm 99.9% sure that none of the current stock of Lytworx (Bunnings) ones DC controller compatible.

There was a mix of old (3-wire) and new (2-wire) stock in 201, but I'd say that's all gone now.

MarcD

Full time elf
I stopped in at K Mart yesterday and can confirm that their strings are the same as Big W. Controller built into transformer and only two wires coming out.

AngieHarrison

Apprentice elf
I bought mine in bigw in school holiday and yes only white blue and multicolour. Finally i searched in ebay who sold bigW brand pink and green you can pickup from bigW store. They do shipping too

i13

Dedicated elf
JHarrison

I tried a couple of eBay searches but didn't find the Big W ones that you mention. Could you post a link? Have you ordered any and did they have two or three wires between the controller and lights?

Also what do you mean when you say you're using LOR? Is it LOR software, a LOR AC or a LOR DC controller? The problem with this year's Big W lights is that they seem to be incompatible with DC controllers. Most types of lights in Australia are largely incompatible with AC controllers including these.

While it seems that you've found an exception, I want to point out that the majority of eBay lights are garbage so that no-one here falls into the trap; they have 240V running through the entire string that is not of acceptable quality to safely handle 240V let alone outdoors.

MarcD

Full time elf

dw45

New elf
MarcD said:
With light strings from Big W, K Mart and Bunnings no longer suitable for controlling, I ordered the following lights from Deals Direct. According to the photos, they looked like they would work. Unfortunately, when I opened the box, I found two wires from the power supply and two wires from the controller to the lights.

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/chris...ight-led-bulbs-steady-and-multiple-functions/

Any other suggestions? I need something asap.

Hi MarcD, I Bought these lights from vickysun, they came within a week or so as they are in Sydney. I don't do DC but i had a look at them and looks like 3 wires going to the controller box but here is some pictures if you would like to have a look at them
20151017_175321.jpg 20151017_181046.jpg
20151017_175343.jpg 20151017_175353.jpg

600/700 come in White/Clear/Colour/Blue
292 comes in few like Red green etc...

http://www.vickysun.com/christmas-wedding-led-fairy-lights/?sort=featured&page=3

MarcD

Full time elf
Thanks. Those look like what I'm after. Ironically, they were the first ones I looked at but they gnored because they were more expensive.