testing new lights

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Those little $3 testers are brilliant for testing lights. Unfortunately some only have 2 wires out. If they are only 2 wire out then theoretically the wires should be 0V and data and the power to run the pixels will have to be supplied "around" the tester.

i13

Dedicated elf
You can't use test software unless you have an E1.31 pixel controller. These are not from Ray but you'll need one for your display.

Just plug a string/strip into the pixel tester (first) and then apply 12V to the tester (second). There will be a limit to how many strings/strips you can run end-to-end in this configuration due to voltage drop but it'll confirm that they work.

i13

Dedicated elf
Yes that's what I mean and it's worth testing that with the test software especially if you can't get it working with your sequencer.

I still suggest trying the pixels with the little pixel tester to make sure the lights work first.

Habbosrus

Back again
heathwithnoteeth said:

i have a pixlite 16, is that what you mean? cheers
The Pixlite will do the job nicely. You can hook up your lights to the Pixlite 16 and use da e131 to test. The test function in Xlights/NC is pretty good too, but da e131 is easiest and a great piece of kit.

The little tester is the easiest, just supply power to v+ & v- & connect the other end to your strips/strings (one strip/string at a time though). Hit the button and away you go.

Hooking up to the Pixlite will give you many more options and you can test each individual led with David's software

gerry

Senior elf
The pixlite 16 also has a hardware test where you just press a button for 3 secs.
Make sure u upgrade to the latest firmware and use the latest manual which explains which button .. I can't recall.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.