POP! SanDevices E6804 - every time I connect my pixel string, my fuses blow!

SallyMarie

New elf
I just put together my brand new E6804 controller board. I was able to locate it on the network and I can see and change all settings! I have it hooked up to a 12V power supply. I have it set to play a test sequence. So Far So Good, right! As soon as I attach the pixel string to any of the ports, POP! I blow a fuse! what am I doing wrong? :(

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
hi,

check the simple things first, are the pixels wired up correctly ? double check, are they 12v and not 5v? are they the right type of pixel? and finally do you have too many connected?

does it blow straight away or only when the sequence is running?

Cheers
Fing

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
How many pixels are in the string and what rating is the fuse?
As a rough guide each pixel will draw about 55-60mA so you will need fusing that matches about 18 pixels per Amp. Also confirm that you have the 0V, 12V and data around the right way. If the 12V and data are swapped then there's a good chance that at least the 1st few pixels will have been killed and may now be short circuited.

i13

Dedicated elf
If you're using 2811 pixels then one thing that might damage them is connecting them to a controller while the controller is powered.

edwsmith

New elf
Have you been able to resolve? I am having the same issue. With mine I've been able to run the test pattern on 2812 strips I have. When I switch to the Technicolor 2812 bulbs its blows. Both sets are 12V. I have powered off in between connecting the strands but as soon as it powers up the fuse blows. I've also tried taking it off test mode so its not sending a signal and then switching to test mode and it blows then. I've tried four different Technicolor strands and all blow it - while all the strips run fine. Suggestions?

Bill

Keep Moving Forward
Either too many pixels, or bad wiring somewhere. Check all your connection points, and connectors.

1983ss454

New elf
Are plugging in the 12v pixels into the powered board? I had some 5v gece's that would do this, took some digging to figure out why. Seems one night when I was tired I swapped the power and ground on one pigtail

i13

Dedicated elf
Are you accidentally letting the wires at the far end of the strings touch together?

How old are the technicolor pixels? There were previous versions that had issues.

gerry

Senior elf
Check the connection wire colors carefully ! And if you are using pigtails of the 1m / 1.5m fully sealed ready made extenders from Ray - check those too.

I had one (so far) pigtail that had the wires interchanged internally and only finally did I eliminate that as a problem.
I also had 10 of the ready made fully sealed extenders (out of 20) simply not work ie there was no continuity in one pin in each - different problem to yours - so just saying..

SallyMarie

New elf
Thank you all for your ideas and comments! SO nice to have such a great community to turn to for information. It turned out even though I was following the wire chart from the web site - my wires were all mixed up. The power and ground were opposite of the wire guides I found on the web for the technicolor bulbs! Once I switched them - They were all good. I'm so relieved. They are brand new this year, and this is my first RGB experiment. So happy to have them working -Thanks again!

Goliath

Full time elf
I found the same thing with the wiring guide, and the three core pigtails. Definitely swapped over.