where can I buy dumb RGB LEDs strings or nodes for wrapping columns

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf

Habbosrus

Back again
XYrZbest said:
Habbosrus said:
Those first ones you linked aren't very good at all. The construction is quite dodgy.
What about these
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IP68-DC12V-input-12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-RGB-color-100pcs-a-string/701799_522236867.html

is this only 1meter? it looks like I could buy smart pixels for half as much if thats the case
No, they're 100 nodes per string. With 8cm centres, that makes them approximately 8 metres long.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I found the same this year, the price of pixels has dropped so much that it is almost as cheap to buy them as dumb strips.
The first lot you linked to I purchased some last year that plugged into 240v.
I attempted to cut one up to use it in my display but it was just too cheap and nasty.
I ended up giving them all away.
The colour and brightness of the led was good, but the wiring was really bad.

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
scamper said:
I found the same this year, the price of pixels has dropped so much that it is almost as cheap to buy them as dumb strips.
The first lot you linked to I purchased some last year that plugged into 240v.
I attempted to cut one up to use it in my display but it was just too cheap and nasty.
I ended up giving them all away.
The colour and brightness of the led was good, but the wiring was really bad.

glad I was able to hear from someone who has tried them, they looked bad but at that price I expected it. I already am doing 3000 pixels (100m) and didn't want to buy 80m more. While the price certainly has dropped it looks like it would cost 400 to do pixels instead of the 170 for dumb

Edit: it looks like that $400 is for strips not strings. I might spend the extra 20ish for smart if thats all it will cost

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
assuming these are both 10cm spacing like most of the nodes

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WS2811-LED-pixel-node-DC5V-input-full-color-RGB-string-50pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/581805567.html?ws_ab_test=201556_6,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

5m ($10) x 20 = 100m ($200) SMART PIXELS

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IP68-DC12V-input-12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-RGB-color-100pcs-a-string/701799_522236867.html

8m ($16) x 13 = 104m ($208) DUMB RGB

Assuming these are the same quality, if someone could confirm that would be great. The pixels have slightly fewer pixels per meter, but I think I'll live. I also have smart pixel controller with enough channel spots to support these while on the dumb I would need to spend $40 on a dumb controller. So this looks like a pretty good deal for me. While I guess I will have a bit more programming to do it will be ok

i13

Dedicated elf
The pixel string you linked to is 5V and the dumb string is 12V. This will make them quite different to work with. The 12V won't be quite as bright as the 5V and it will use more power. The 5V will suffer from voltage drop and you'll need to inject power more often. Power injection is less practical with dumb RGB. If you're going with 12V, remember to ask ray for nodes that draw 10mA per colour (30mA per node). If they draw too much current they'll suffer from voltage drop too and you may as well get 5V instead to save power.
5V vs 12V strips have a slightly different set of advantages/disadvantages to the strings.

You don't just have to accept the spacing as it is either. You can ask Ray for whatever spacing you want but remember to say that it is the centre-to-centre spacing or he often gets it wrong. I asked for custom spacing in my last order and he had it correct to within 5mm or so.

If you're after the 27 channel controller, Ray sells it too so you could have it in the same order as your lights.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/27channel-easy-constant-voltage-dmx-decoder-with-RJ45-interface-DC7-24V-input/701799_1558064774.html

It might depend on your sequencer but it is often quite easy to treat pixel strings as if they're dumb RGB so you don't have to do the extra sequencing when you don't want to. This is the case with Vixen 3 if you just group them.

Kitman

Full time elf
Just a side point, if you were looking at getting some stuff custom made for this year you will be pushing to have enough time to test them and get replacement strings in time for December 1st (Depending when you want to put your display up) I ordered my last set of custom strings from ray almost a week ago and am not expecting them until mid this month and if they are wrong (like my last lot where) I will have very little time to get the replacements and have them fully tested and may have to shelve them till next year.

If you are happy to run 5v or 12v then do so, each have their plusses and minuses. Personally I am using all 12v as I am familiar with 12v and I will live with the consequences of the display not being as bright (even though it will blind people either way)

Just something to be mindful of this close to the big day.

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
i13 said:
The pixel string you linked to is 5V and the dumb string is 12V. This will make them quite different to work with. The 12V won't be quite as bright as the 5V and it will use more power. The 5V will suffer from voltage drop and you'll need to inject power more often. Power injection is less practical with dumb RGB. If you're going with 12V, remember to ask ray for nodes that draw 10mA per colour (30mA per node). If they draw too much current they'll suffer from voltage drop too and you may as well get 5V instead to save power.
5V vs 12V strips have a slightly different set of advantages/disadvantages to the strings.

You don't just have to accept the spacing as it is either. You can ask Ray for whatever spacing you want but remember to say that it is the centre-to-centre spacing or he often gets it wrong. I asked for custom spacing in my last order and he had it correct to within 5mm or so.

If you're after the 27 channel controller, Ray sells it too so you could have it in the same order as your lights.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/27channel-easy-constant-voltage-dmx-decoder-with-RJ45-interface-DC7-24V-input/701799_1558064774.html

It might depend on your sequencer but it is often quite easy to treat pixel strings as if they're dumb RGB so you don't have to do the extra sequencing when you don't want to. This is the case with Vixen 3 if you just group them.

I'd rather go with pixels as I could definitely use them in my show and the price difference doesn't seem to big. Could I go with these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WS2811-LED-pixel-node-DC5V-input-full-color-RGB-string-50pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/581805567.html?ws_ab_test=201556_6,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0? They are 5v I have tons of wire and can inject power along the back of the column. Do these look like decent pixels?

Also you say 5v are brighter than 12v. wouldn't 12v be supplying more power and there fore making it more bright?

i13

Dedicated elf
Yes those should be good pixels.

The reason 5V is brighter is that it's not the voltage that lights the LEDs; it is the current. The 12V strings draw less current because they have bigger resistors and waste the power. Look up Ohm's law for a simple explanation.

If the 12V strings draw the same current as 5V (sometimes they do) then they suffer from voltage drop too and get warm due to the current flowing through the resistors.