Tune-to controller for P10 panel

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I would go Tune to FM XXX.X.

Other options.

Scrolling text would be better (not sure if this a realistic option).

If scrolling is out then can it sit on the XXX.X for a bit longer to give people a chance to see it/tune in. Probably not a big issue as it comes around pretty fast anyway.

My 2c worth anyway.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I did try scrolling text and found it harder to read on a single panel.

The xxx.x is already on for 2 secs vs 1 sec for the other words, but could extend it a little more.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
As for colours, due to the simple way I'm driving the panel they are limited to these 7:
Red
Green
Yellow
Blue
Magenta
Cyan
White

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
As a test, I've changed to code to use a single colour for the whole message.

You can select the colour by fitting a jumper to the programming header and using the same buttons as the frequency set.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
David_AVD said:
What's peoples thoughts about the text displayed?

Currently it's:
TUNE
YOUR
RADIO
TO
FM
xxx.x

Someone has suggested simplifying / changing it to:
TUNE
TO
xxx.x
FM

Comments ?

What else can you tune these days other than a radio? I say make it simpler and go the 2nd option. It means the frequency rolls around 2 seconds quicker :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
djgra79 said:
What else can you tune these days other than a radio? I say make it simpler and go the 2nd option. It means the frequency rolls around 2 seconds quicker :)

For now I've changed it to:
TUNE
TO
FM
xxx.x

Each word is now shown for 1 second and the frequency is shown for 3 seconds. There is a blank at the end for 0.5 seconds before the cycle repeats.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
For now I've changed it to:
TUNE
TO
FM
xxx.x

Each word is now shown for 1 second and the frequency is shown for 3 seconds. There is a blank at the end for 0.5 seconds before the cycle repeats.

That sounds great to me

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
David_AVD said:
What's peoples thoughts about the text displayed?

Currently it's:
TUNE
YOUR
RADIO
TO
FM
xxx.x

Someone has suggested simplifying / changing it to:
TUNE
TO
xxx.x
FM

Comments ?

Second looks good to me.

So with the jumper, are you saying we can set the jumper and change each text to a different colour from the default.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
gnarmstr said:
So with the jumper, are you saying we can set the jumper and change each text to a different colour from the default.

The jumper currently allows you to set the overall colour, not each word. But... I could do the colour setting a little differently.

I could make it so one button cycles through the words and the other increments through the colours for that word.

So there would be no "down" button for the colour selection, but since there's only 7 colours it will still only take a few presses to get to the colour you want for that word.

That way each work can have a separate colour if you like. How does that sound?

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
David_AVD said:
gnarmstr said:

The jumper currently allows you to set the overall colour, not each word. But... I could do the colour setting a little differently.

I could make it so one button cycles through the words and the other increments through the colours for that word.

So there would be no "down" button for the colour selection, but since there's only 7 colours it will still only take a few presses to get to the colour you want for that word.

That way each work can have a separate colour if you like. How does that sound?
that sounds like a plan david

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
gnarmstr said:
That sounds great. It's not like you will be changing the freq much and the colour not much more.

The frequency and colour changes are still very much user selectable at any time with the touch of a button and an option jumper. :)