Timber Controller Box

Charger

Apprentice elf
Is there any reason why timber control boxes are not being used by anyone. I see that either metal or plastic boxes are the favourites, but from what I have seen nobody is using timber. Timber obviously allows for the box to be easily shaped to specific dimensions with the most basic DIY skills.

Presumably this has something to do with fire resistance, however I could not imagine that timber would be much worse than plastic.

Of course, I am referring to a box that is not subject to the weather (in garage).

Thoughts?

JPB

Full time elf
No problem with timber boxes and I have one. An issue for smaller ones is that the thickness of the timber means you may end up with a smaller inside volume for a given size compared to store bought plastic or metal.

Charger

Apprentice elf
Thanks JPB. I was considering making a cabinet to house my power supply, controller and other bits and pieces all in one. This will be mounted on a wall inside my garage. Can you foresee any issues with this - obviously I will give consideration to ventilation etc.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Make sure the controller boards are not mounted hard up against the wood (or any) surface.

Always use spacers of some sort so that any moisture will not make contact with the solder joints on the rear of the PCB.