New Member from Pakenham Victoria, looking for help

luehmans

New elf
G'day guys, starting to get into the Christmas light decorating more and more each year.
I am looking into getting RGB Pixel strings for next year and want to control them with something light light-o-rama so I can sync the whole lot up to music and the sorts I have seen at the bigger displays in our area.
Has anyone had any experience with light-o-rama or are there other alternatives I should be looking into? from everything I have found there is nothing available in Australia which makes things a little difficult when you are starting out and learning about the new system.

Here's a link to our current display, we are in a local competition for a Coles voucher so feel free to give it a like too if you can.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153755702799621&set=o.193762400685400&type=3&theater

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi and welcome to ACL! Good to see another SE Melbournian join the group :)

By LOR are you talking about an AC controller, using your existing light sets? If so, that can be a slightly expensive and limiting way to go about animating your display. Most members opt for cutting up the strings and converting to DC control, or low voltage RGB pixels.
I'd suggest starting here with this thread. http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html
Have a read (and re-read, and re-read!) and then pop into chat and ask questions when you have them. We're a friendly bunch and there are lots of other members who have joined in the past week looking to gain knowledge for next year (might be a little to late for this year)

luehmans

New elf
Thank you, will give it a read, you pretty much spot on with what I'm trying to do.
Want to use RBG and still utilise some of my old strings if possible so thread sounds like it may have a few hints to get me in the right direction and probably raise another few questions.
You are right, I am planning for next year... last year I decided that was what I wanted to do but next thing you know it its Christmas again and I haven't really researched anything so thought I would get into it all now while its still on my mind and there is other inspiration and ideas out there to take in...

i13

Dedicated elf
Nice display you have. For the low voltage strings it is worth investigating DC control. Don't buy any if they have an 8 function controller AND only two wires going to the lights. It is cheaper to buy DC controllers within Australia or directly from China than from LOR.

If you have 240V ropelights or similar, these will require an AC controller. In my opinion the lifespan of ropelights doesn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a new AC controller from LOR. Keep an eye on the members' trading area section here or start a "wanted" thread. They are very often sold second hand at lower prices and I'm sure you could get hold of one cheaper before next year.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome27.gif

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Welcome to ACL. You will learn a lot form everyone here. It was great to see you in chat.

Most here have converted to Xlights 4. It is a great sequencer especially from a fresh start.

Myself, I may move to it next year, just do not have the time yet.
Although, I do use it to sequence my pixels or smart strips. I just convert it back to a LMS file and copy/paste it back into a sequence. Then I import it to the pixel editor to view it.

If you need any help let me know, I have worked with a variety of controllers, DMX bridges and a variety of strips.

-Blu