Pixel strips

marmalade

cats & pixels
On your first purchase how many individual pixels per metre are they? Most are 30 pixels/m (at around $20-25 for 5m of strip)

The cheaper one states 10 pixels per meter & I believe the leds are in individual colour groups of 3 (ie 3 red, then 3 greens, then 3 blues)

I got a little excited at the price until reading that. Hopefully someone might chip in with some actual buying experience.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
marmalade said:
On your first purchase how many individual pixels per metre are they? Most are 30 pixels/m (at around $20-25 for 5m of strip)

The cheaper one states 10 pixels per meter & I believe the leds are in individual colour groups of 3 (ie 3 red, then 3 greens, then 3 blues)

I got a little excited at the price until reading that. Hopefully someone might chip in with some actual buying experience.

The ones I have now are 10 pixels / mt (being 10 x group of three, with each bulb in the group of three being RGB)

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I'm guessing the rgb order is likely to be different. Depending on your controller this may/may not be a problem. Then again for all I know the rgb order may change when ordering a second lot of the same listing when you're buying cheap from china. I've ordered two lots of 2811 strip from Ray in a 6 month period and they had a different rgb order. My controller can't change rgb order part way along an output. Luckily I had a spare output. I'm not sure I ordered the same lights the second time though. They were all ws2811 but they looked different. One had three tabs on each led (+,-, data) and the other had 4 (2 x +,-,data). Not sure why there was 2 positives.

Boomer#6

No magic smoke yet!!
Jamie, I have both types.
The only difference I've found is the orientation of V+, Data & Gnd. It's a pain if you need to join strips unless you are using wires &/or pigtails
Performance and control is the same-10 pixels per meter

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Boomer said:
Jamie, I have both types.
The only difference I've found is the orientation of V+, Data & Gnd. It's a pain if you need to join strips unless you are using wires &/or pigtails
Performance and control is the same-10 pixels per meter

Thanks Boomer,

I've ordered some , so I'm glad you were able to confirm... How did your display go ?

Boomer#6

No magic smoke yet!!
OK Jamie, thanks for asking. We are the harshest critics of our own displays. My neighbor told me she can't help smiling when she drives into our street, the lights are sooo beautiful! I felt a lot better about it then ;)

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Bevo said:
Hi I just found this new LED neon strip from Ray Wu

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...eds-m-with-10pixels-m/701799_32607732278.html

These may make arches easier?
Nice find Bevo, I can think of a few uses for these, garden/lawn edges, silohuettes or singing faces. Would probably need to be careful of bending or kinking so as not to damage the strip inside, but with a bit of care could be a good update for some of my old ropelights.

Regarding the strip in the original post, I've just had some of this delivered and I'm very pleased with it. I was asking about it in another post before I placed the order and someone said to expect a few joins in the strip, they were spot on, it appears to be made up of off cuts, but with very clean and professional looking solder joints. At $12usd vs $17 for the alternative its a really good deal IMO.