Multiple strands in a custom model?

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Just beginning to use xlights and still finding my way, I have managed to create a custom model of a wire frame star using Excel (thanks to some really helpful tutorial videos) but I'm stuck on one specific issue. My star has 3 layers/strands, an outer, middle and inner star. How do I define these in the model?
If I set 'display as' to star it gives an option to enter 'star layer sizes' ie 26 nodes for the inner star, 58 nodes for the middle etc. However, my star is not a regular symmetrical shape, it is more a Bethlehem style star with long bottom point and smaller points in between, hence creating a custom model.
Is there a way to define 3 'layers' in a custom model similar to a star model?
or
Should I create a separate model for each of the 3 layers and group them?
or
(and being new to this, this one is highly likely) Am i going about this completely wrong?

Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 45

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi David,

it is possible to define multiple models and then group them as a model group. I had a spinner ( which Dan Kulp calls a spike) which I defined as a single string, a custom and a circle, as various effects behaved differently depending on which model they were applied to.
Dan has just announced an update to Xlights which should fix that issue, by allowing the user to define the buffer used. see his post here. http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,8604.0.html

on another point i noticed that the nodes are pointing down, I'm lead to believe this will allow water to collect where the leads go though, and as such test out the quality of the Chinese waterproofing. :) Apparently water can wick along the cables.

Cheers
Fing

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Thanks Fing, I'll try creating a model for each of the 3 layers and group them.

As for the orientation of the nodes, this star is located high above my roof (mounted on a pole attached to the chimney, in the dark it appears to 'float' above the house). Because of the height I made a conscious decision to face all the lights downwards so that they are all visible from street level. The nodes I used are Ray Wu's epoxy filled ones, hopefully the waterproofing will hold up, time will tell.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'd be tempted to try the Star model and just sequence it as if it was symmetrical. Remember the preview doesn't always need to look exactly like the real thing. It may give you just as good a result.

arw01

Full time elf
Gil, could you possible look up the layout of the standard 3 model and then change it in the view of that? Or is that view read only?

If one was good with xml think it could be done there?

Gilrock

Full time elf
The positions of the pixels for the multi-level star are not saved in XML. It's all calculated on the fly by that model class.

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Try both options (star model with 3 layers AND 3 different models, 1 for each layer, and then group together). Play with it in xLights and see what you like better. You are the ultimate critic of your display and it doesn't take that long to make both model sets and try it out.