How to determine the power consumption of pixels

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Is the rating specification for 5V ws2811 pixels 18.5mA per colour as well. I have some of those as well but I haven't tested them yet. I'm guessing the current rating is the same and the power usage is lower due to the lower voltage (P=IV) but then again normally just when I think I'm understanding something I learn that I'm still learning.

i13

Dedicated elf
BundyRoy you are correct. The point Fasteddy is making is that the 12V pixels should draw less current than those do. Drawing less current sacrifices some brightness but it lowers the current draw and therefore the power consumption and voltage drop too.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
i13 said:
BundyRoy you are correct. The point Fasteddy is making is that the 12V pixels should draw less current than those do. Drawing less current sacrifices some brightness but it lowers the current draw and therefore the power consumption and voltage drop too.

This is correct, but with good quality LEDs then the brightness level differences are not really noticeable because the human eye does not see LED light dimming in a linear way where LEDs are linear in their dimming