Power directly from power supply

jerrymac

Apprentice elf
Any reason not use use power directly from the power supply's and only use the controllers for the data? (two wires from the power supply and one from the controller). Power the controller from a wall wart.

battle79

Full time elf
You will find most people only use the controller for the data signal.
I run all my light directly from power supplies, with fuses between lights and power supplies obviously.

As mentioned, make sure you run a ground wire (and only the ground wire) from each supply to the controller ground. If you don't you will get lots of random flashing on your pixels.

This allows you to utilise the full amount of pixels a particular controller can output, rather than being limited by its power output.

pmflav

New elf
Does the RJ45 from the controller (F16v2 in my case) provide a ground you can tap into for each powersupply? As this won't/shouldn't be a current loading ground.

i13

Dedicated elf
pmflav said:
Does the RJ45 from the controller (F16v2 in my case) provide a ground you can tap into for each powersupply? As this won't/shouldn't be a current loading ground.
Just have a common connection between the negative output of each power supply and the negative output from the controller. This can be done through the string of pixels.

You don't want to have the positive outputs connected together.