Raspberry Pi. But not for xmas

scamper

Dedicated elf
Yes I know, This is not xmas related, well not really. (but I would put xmas music on it :) )
But with all of the Pi experts out there, I thought someone may be able to point me in the right direction.
I have a spare Raspberry Pi, and was looking for a project for it and finally decided on setting it up as a jukebox.
Only problem being, all of the Jukebox projects I have seen out there either rely on wifi networks, touchscreens or streaming etc.
I just want to set this up using the gpio pins to hook up some switch's to go forward backward and select. Just like a traditional jukebox.
And then be able to play the music that I load onto a usb drive out to an amp I connect to the audio output.
I thought this would be a fairly simple thing, but it seems everyone goes overboard and I am left scratching my head.
Any help on finding something like this would be appreciated

Wolfieee

New elf
Have a read though this book. It helped me with push button control using GPIO for my arcade setup.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Cv0wBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA212&lpg=PA212&dq=raspberry+pi+music+with+play+and+stop+buttons&source=bl&ots=GbNDrFX2qy&sig=odNI59nidQPmZxTwd9B6Rp7DUDs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPuMyeqP7NAhVDoZQKHfO0DtIQ6AEISjAH#v=onepage&q=raspberry%20pi%20music%20with%20play%20and%20stop%20buttons&f=false

Barnabybear

New elf
Hi, you could look at FPP (Falcon Pi Player). I don't se why you couldn't setup play lists and select them with scripts from GPIOs.

scamper

Dedicated elf
smeighan said:
Yep very easy to setup a few hundred songs and launch them with buttons or use an ipad to launch various playlist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not as brilliant as you. I can fumble around and eventually work things out (and copy instructions, thanks by the way) But I was just hoping that someone out there may have already done the hard work and wanted to share.
I have used a few things like osmc and musicbox, but they are just way too complex for my needs.
I will sit down when I get some spare time and attempt to modify one of the available media players to suit.