Motorised spotlight

sweepa

New elf
has anyone incorporated motorised spotlights into their display if so what type brand did you use and how are they controlled i imagine they are dmx controlled also what is a good not to break the bank device.

zman

Full time elf
These are called DMX Yoke lights. Here in the USA, American DJ, Chauvet are the brands DJ's use often. As you move up in quality and capability, Martin Mac makes some great units.

Also here in the US, we have brokers that will take the stock from theatrical companies and sell them used. This is usually not a bad way to go since those fixtures are usually well taken care of. Someone I have used is a company called GearSource.

My Martin Mac 250's are awesome, but need special enclosures to keep the weather out. Any unit of this nature is going to require weatherproofing

sweepa

New elf
I have seen the display what a show thast where the dea came from i dont know how theyll go in the heat that we have here but it would give a great effect

sweepa

New elf
i have advatek controllers would the dmx be able to control those

algerdes

Al Gerdes
I believe that Tom (BetGeorge) is just wired differently. And I mean that in a good way. :) He was really fun to have dinner with, and his class at the Christmas Expo was intense. Learned so much in 1 short hour!!!

Now, can we mere mortals do this - for sure!

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I have a couple of small 12w moving head lights which I am controlling with Xlights using the newly added DMX effect. Works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Sweepa,

in Oz these are often called moving head lights, and range in price from $100 ebay specials up to $20K plus professional versions.
A few things to consider.
1. in order to get that beam effect you will need both a high power /output light and some smoke/dust/water in the air for the light to bounce off. a lot of the cheap Chinese versions just do not have the power necessary. you would be looking at around a 575w discharge lamp to get that effect. A 10 or 90 w LED version won't do it. you may get a decent effect with a 250W lamp but once again you will need the dust.

2. they come in two versions a spot and wash. spots are dearer. wash would be good for lighting up a wall or model say. I recently purchased a 7 LED x 10w RGBW moving head that would be suitable for a short throw, but you would need a few to cover a large area or to get a decent saturation at distance. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DMX512-RGB-LED-Moving-Head-Club-DJ-Disco-Bar-Stage-Light-Strobe-Effect-Lighting-/281493018042?hash=item418a4a95ba:g:KpgAAOSw3mpXKud9

3. waterproofing is a problem, especially the high power/high temp versions as they get very hot.

4. if you're still interested keep an eye out for a secondhand iMove version. these are higher power sub-pro versions that aren't too bad for the money. expect around $300 plus each.

5. of course if you've got deep pockets, look for a second hand Martin Mac500 or the Mac250 version ( a Mac500 weighs 35Kg each)

Cheers
Fing