P12D - New weapon from Joshua1 Systems

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
Introducing the P12D the latest WMD from Ed.
p12D.png

This is a new P12D board that can replace your P12X on top of your P12S or p12R and give you either differential or single ended outputs on each channel. Effectively replacing the need to have extensive amounts of ECG-PPD-B's
On the other end, just need 12x PPR-A and plug directly into your lights. (with power injected)

It uses a new size of 3.96mm Pluggable Terminal Strip. All connectors will be included. I just put 6 on one bank so you can see them and left the other empty so you can see them." - Ed

I Was the first to get one back in early November and put it into use all season. Worked like a charm

I was VERY happy with the performance. They where easy to install and get working.
I used them both with the PPR-A and i also changed the jumper settings so the P12D worked like a traditional P12X connecting my 2811 strips directly to it.

I didn't need to inject power even though my Ethernet was 30M long, I still had 11.9v after my PPR-A with enough amps to run two strips (i only ever placed one strip per run) its a waist of universes and sockets but it suited my setup perfectly.

Negatives: the connectors are a little bit finicky, i was connecting cat6 cable directly into them and with solid wire i had about a 60% fail rate for reliable connections, to overcome this I soldered on 5cm of 1.5mm wire to the end of each Ethernet cable (and to the pairs for brown+blue) and this gave me a 100% connection rate.

IMG_1824.JPG

robertt

New elf
warsome said:
It uses a new size of 3.96mm Pluggable Terminal Strip. All connectors will be included. I just put 6 on one bank so you can see them and left the other empty so you can see them." - Ed

Negatives: the connectors are a little bit finicky, i was connecting cat6 cable directly into them and with solid wire i had about a 60% fail rate for reliable connections

maybe a version with RJ45 connectors is an option, the receiving side also uses RJ45.....

greetings, robert

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
I did say to ED one with Rj45 would be gold. but he said it was designed for some new cable coming out in mind.
(with thicker wires for power and then thin for the rest)

I was thinking to make up a PCB to convert it to RJ45 connectors, but then I thought to myself I may as well buy the Rj45 waterproof glands and then make a permeate solution that way.. RJ 45 on the board would make it perfection though.

PRICE, I got one of the early ones so would need to check with ED because im not sure on his listed price, but its under $100.

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
Here is a quick set of info on the jumper settings for reference:

F14 – very important – only install if the power on P13 is less than 38V. this is the connection for the onboard OKI and the feed down to the P12S. ok course both have one more connection between them and use but it is safest to remove if using some large power voltage. Most people will use 12V or 24V and they should install F14 with the supplied 3A fuse.

K1 – this is the jumpers for the 5V regulator on the P12D to power the differentials. Three logical settings: open if not using ANY differential, 1-2 & 3-4 if P13 is feeding 12V or 24V nominal, 2-3 if P13 is a clean 5V.

Jumpers below each IC are labeled SGL / DIFF. you place TWO jumpers from the center out. To the left for Single Ended (normal CMOS/TTL levels), to the Right for Differential output.

Each string connector uses up to 6 wires:

G – Ground
C+ - Clock Differential+ if set to DIFF, Clock CMOS/TTL if set to SGL
C- - Clock Differential- if set to DIFF, no connection if set to SGL
D+ - Data Differential+ if set to DIFF, Data CMOS/TTL if set to SGL
D- - Data Differential- if set to DIFF, no connection if set to SGL
+V – Power distribution, usually 5V, 12V or 24V

Examples:

To directly hookup a WS2801, set the jumpers to SGL and use G, C+, D+, +V pins

To PPX hookup a WS2801 to feed a PPR-A etc, set the jumpers to DIFF and use G, C+, C-, D+, D-, +V with G and +V using double wires (the pairs)

To directly hookup a WS2811,set the jumpers to SGL and use G, D+, +V pins

To PPX hookup a WS2811 to feed a PPR-A etc, set the jumpers to DIFF and use at least G, D+, D-, +V. but it is ok to wire the C+, C-. they just won’t be used.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Oh sweet !!!
I hope that I can get some pixels into my display this year and this would be a nice addition. I picked up a P2 last year to test out with a string of 2811 pixels from Ray so that I could learn some of the new things about E1.31 and pixels.
Guess I better put some pennies aside and look at getting one of these and more pixels during the year.
I use LOR now but am going to start converting to LSP this year for control.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
warsome said:
I did say to ED one with Rj45 would be gold. but he said it was designed for some new cable coming out in mind.
(with thicker wires for power and then thin for the rest)

I would like to find out more about this "new cable"? That would be the ideal addition to make power and data runs if it really is coming down the road. Something to consider in the future work to incorporate pixels into displays.

zman

Full time elf
Guys, where is this posted from? I knew about this in Nov and saw a picture of it. I knew it was used in Dec, but it was not released. I can find no other info on it by searching forums.

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
I just ordered a custom PCB design from China.
basically it is a 6 way Rj45 Breakaway board.

The price is quite cheap after the first unit (you pay more for the first one / Singles)

here is a 2 way breakaway.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Existing-design-of-RJ45-Breakout-Board-with-2-RJ45-Jacks-and-2-8pins-terminal-blocks/665179369.html

basically the one I am getting made has 2 rows of 3 on the same board.
the Price is $30USD each (im ordering 6) and when I have them ill post some images so if anyone else wants them I can get more made.

I'm also thinking about a power injector version.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
warsome said:
I just ordered a custom PCB design from China.
basically it is a 6 way Rj45 Breakaway board.

The price is quite cheap after the first unit (you pay more for the first one / Singles)

here is a 2 way breakaway.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Existing-design-of-RJ45-Breakout-Board-with-2-RJ45-Jacks-and-2-8pins-terminal-blocks/665179369.html

Great idea on the Breakaway board! Do you have any new info on these?

basically the one I am getting made has 2 rows of 3 on the same board.
the Price is $30USD each (im ordering 6) and when I have them ill post some images so if anyone else wants them I can get more made.

I'm also thinking about a power injector version.

You have any new info on this please?

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
ck Differential- if set to DIFF, no con
Here is a quick set of info on the jumper settings for reference:

F14 – very important – only install if the power on P13 is less than 38V. this is the connection for the onboard OKI and the feed down to the P12S. ok course both have one more connection between them and use but it is safest to remove if using some large power voltage. Most people will use 12V or 24V and they should install F14 with the supplied 3A fuse.

K1 – this is the jumpers for the 5V regulator on the P12D to power the differentials. Three logical settings: open if not using ANY differential, 1-2 & 3-4 if P13 is feeding 12V or 24V nominal, 2-3 if P13 is a clean 5V.

Jumpers below each IC are labeled SGL / DIFF. you place TWO jumpers from the center out. To the left for Single Ended (normal CMOS/TTL levels), to the Right for Differential output.

Each string connector uses up to 6 wires:

G – Ground
C+ - Clock Differential+ if set to DIFF, Clock CMOS/TTL if set to SGL
C- - Clock Differential- if set to DIFF, no connection if set to SGL
D+ - Data Differential+ if set to DIFF, Data CMOS/TTL if set to SGL
D- - Data Differential- if set to DIFF, no connection if set to SGL
+V – Power distribution, usually 5V, 12V or 24V

Examples:

To directly hookup a WS2801, set the jumpers to SGL and use G, C+, D+, +V pins

To PPX hookup a WS2801 to feed a PPR-A etc, set the jumpers to DIFF and use G, C+, C-, D+, D-, +V with G and +V using double wires (the pairs)

To directly hookup a WS2811,set the jumpers to SGL and use G, D+, +V pins

To PPX hookup a WS2811 to feed a PPR-A etc, set the jumpers to DIFF and use at least G, D+, D-, +V. but it is ok to wire the C+, C-. they just won’t be used.

THANK YOU PAST ME!!!!!

I had a failure after a big storm, and after 9 years one of my controllers has died, and my top boards are all different models and i knew I had put this info from ED somewhere! the system works!