Soldering iron.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Has anyone had anyone experience with this soldering iron.

2in1 YH 898D Soldering Station Iron Rework Weld Hot Air Gun Dual Digital Display
http://bit.ly/1f4XHWD

Can the hot air gun part be used on heat shrink. It looks like it can in the description but does anyone know if it's any good.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Yes not a problem at all, Theyre actually the best thing for heat shrink as not only can you vary the temp but you can also vary the fan speed.
Andt if you want to dabble in some SMD soldering you got the perfect tool as well.

caffeine

Full time elf
I got a multimeter and some tools for my Christmas present from the wife.

I get to borrow her heatgun she uses for craft for the heatshrink.

King1

New elf
Yes i has but 2 years before. That experience was just good enough.

Habbosrus

Back again

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The cheap copies are almost always pretty bad to use compared to the real deal. That's not to say that you may not get usable results (for your purpose) with them.

A $900 station is not going to be the same as sub $100 one. Not a simple re-brand by any stretch of the imagination.

B_P_J

Full time elf
hey guys, when I saw the $900 I freaked no way I would pay that, its what they do on ebay when the are either out of stock or almost out so the listing can carry on, well that's what I have been told, and the brand doesn't look like a $900 brand.
Hakko anyone,
products_hakko_rework_img.jpg

This one is only around $3000

B_P_J

Full time elf
Update: Yihau is a cheap knock off Hakko, Atten is a cheaper knock off Yihau

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A nice iron is the Hakko FX888 (we have a few at work) although I believe you can only buy the FX888D (digital controls) version now. They are in the $200 range. If you see one significantly cheaper, it will be one of the crappy clones.

A good soldering iron can make a huge difference, just as using 63/37 leaded solder will (0.71mm is a good size). Forget lead-free solder. You don't want it and will only cause you grief.