ShellNZ soldering tips

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Well I read this thread all the way to the end and when I saw Shell's comment I had to go watch the vids....
;)
If you're not in marketing Shell, You should be!
hahaha :D

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
On a more serious note, and I hate to shoot down the legend that is Shell, but you are taking way too long on those solder joints Shell. If the iron is hot enough which it certainly appears to be you should be able to just about do a joint once per second. Keeping the iron on the joint for too long will cause damage to the fragile pcb strip and will eventually make more work for yourself. Keeping the soldering iron tip clean by wiping on a damp sponge regularly and using solder with a good flux will produce nice clean joints and allow faster soldering. On a note specific to soldering this strip you need to clean all of the silicon off the joint or you will end up with a dirty joint and/or end up spending too much time soldering the joint.

On a less serious note did anyone else note that the surface was fairly reflective? >:-D

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
AAH said:
On a less serious note did anyone else note that the surface was fairly reflective? >:-D

AHHHGG! I cant believe I fell for that one. I just had to go and have another look now didn't I :-[

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
firebug said:
So who was holding the camera?? :eek:

ShellNZ said:
My breasts ;)

I still can't get this out of my mind ::) LOL

On a serious note...wouldn't one want to have a smaller tip like those used for PC board soldering ?
It seems like a bulky tip would not work as well on small copper solder pads

-Blu

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I find the smaller tips dont heat the copper pads as well, but that's just me :) The wedge tip (or whatever you call it) is also good for tinning. Therefore I dont change tips at all.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ShellNZ said:
I find the smaller tips dont heat the copper pads as well, but that's just me :) The wedge tip (or whatever you call it) is also good for tinning. Therefore I dont change tips at all.
Do you apply solder to the solder tip first as that helps spread the heat better on the pad.