Begining my first spiral tree

diyer

Full time elf
my spiral tree is beginning to take shape, I have made the bottom and top and have most of the other components to put it together.
It consists of a 40mm diameter stainless steel tube with a 1300mm diameter bottom ring and will be about 3000mm overall height. It will have 20 doubled up blue LED strings attached.
I have the base ring made, it is a circular piece of aluminium composite material (ACM) that I routed and jigsawed out. To the outside edge a rolled a 25 x 12 x 1.6mm aluminium angle around an fixed with 3mm pop rivets. To this angle I plan to string 20 stainless steel wires to a top fixing point.
The top fixing is just some PVC plumbing fittings that I got from Bunnings, a bit of hole sawing, cutting and gluing and done.
I bought some stainless stranded wire and crimps on eBay, just waiting for them to arrive to start assembly.
More photos and progress will follow in due course.

gixx.jpg

i78g.jpg

3qk3.jpg

q7pr.jpg

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Any reason reason you are not going the pixel node route? It would be much easier than lining up strings to circle the tree and nutcracker or such can duplicate the spiral tree look (as well as lots of other effects).

diyer

Full time elf
Hi Kaden,
No reason at all I guess except I had no idea what a pixel was until I found this site!

Any recommendations? Pixels and suitable controller? Something else I will have to learn about at the Melbourne mini.....

Cheers

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Lots of recommendations, but if you are going to a mini you will get your answers there :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
Hang out to the expo but as a start I'd read the 101 manual. Ws2811 pixels are a good place to start in dc12v controlled by a j1sys p2 controller. But asking someone what pixels and controller to use is like asking what car should I buy. I found this combination easy for my first year. Ws2811 because no clock wire, only data positive and negative wires. Dc12v because more forgiving with power injection and the p2 because it does 8 universes for a cheap price (1 universe = 170 rgb pixels)

diyer

Full time elf
8) Thanks everyone for your support. I am reading the 101 now...

cheers