Busy Weekend

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Along with the traditional turkey supper this past long weekend, I was able to get some work done on blinky hardware....
Finished the new REN24DC board and mounted in a CG1500 case (would not line up correctly in a CG1000).
ren24dc.jpg
Also threw 2 X 27 channel DMX controllers into a CG1500 along with a 350 watt power supply. This will be used to power 18 home made coro stars (3 modules in each). I removed the XLR connectors and wired them in series and used RJ45 jacks for DMX in/out, also fused both inputs.
54channel.jpg
Just have to wait for the warmer weather to get prop building...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Looks very nice.

The only potential concern is the size of the cables between the board and the power supply. It needs to be big enough to take the combined load of the outputs for that bank.
What size cable have you used and what is your controller bank load

Jago

New elf
One thing on the DMX box you have the AC cable tied to the PSU, Be careful doing things like that as you have removed the outer sheath if there is a sharp edge on that psu it could cut/wear the insulation on the wires. as that cable will move as you open/close the lid.

Other then that nice, I did the same removed the SLR connectors and soldered directly to their pads

DrNeutron

Thanks for the replies guys!
The load is going to be very minimal on the cables and power supply of the DMX setup as each coro star is only 3 RGB modules (.72WattX3=2.16Wattts). The power cables are 16gauge (old server power cables), didn't think I could fit any larger and have the case close well enough.
The power cables are attached to the side of the power supply to ensure the cables bend forward when I close the case, but good point on keeping an eye on fraying (that would release the magic smoke quick :D)
As for heat......I live in Nova Scotia......December is usually below zero for the entire month (not usually too much below, maybe -5 to -10). Heat is not usually a concern, and I don't plan on pushing the supply very much (2.16Watts X 18 = 40 watts or so).
The REN24 is the one I am going to have to keep an eye out for as it will run full RGB strips off each input with the possibility of running 2 strips from one input. The board is rated for 4amps/output if heat sinks are used. I used the DMX boards last year to run the house outline and a strip per output seemed fine and that board is rated for 1amp/output. I also built one of the pixel extenders from DIYLEDEXPRESS and it works great with the 6 port bridge in case anyone is looking into getting one for 2811 pixels (plan to run 6 coro canes off that if I ever get to building them.. ;))
Appreciate the input guys, always good to have another set of eyes.
:D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Good to see that you gave it some good thought, so based on your reply then i dont forsee any real major issues.

DrNeutron

Eddy I actually have a quick question in regards to your coro canes....
Did you just sandwich the modules between 2 pieces of coro? No side pieces of coro? If so, do you have much light bleed out the sides? I watched David's construction of a coro cane and it looks nice, but if no need to over-engineer then why pull out more hair? ;)

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi Dr N, I built last year using Eddys cane design. did not get any light bleed from the sides of the canes ,even though they have no sidewalls. Worked fantastic and they look really good, as well as being relatively easy to manufacture.

cheers Boof63 :D :D

DrNeutron

Thanks for clearing that up.....easy is good. No need to over engineer them. Thanks.