Best way to decorate an existing wire frame......

mangoat

Full time elf
hey guys

ive got a train (engine and 2 carriages), that originally had rope light coloured and cable tied to it, but it broke down after a few years, was thinking about deocarting with pixels, but i measured it out, was about 30m of rope light if i remembr correctly wrapped around the 3d frame .....

any ideas on how i should colourise the existing frame with what????

is the led neon tube stuff available in a pixel sort of thing or just 1 colour or multicolour? or is it possible to colourise that tubing permanantly? and how tight of a bend can i put in it?

thanks for any assistance.

Karob

Let there be Light!
I have a similar problem with my display,

After years of static displays and a mother in law that will impulse buy Christmas lights at the end of year sales, we have gathered many rope light motifs that need to be stripped and re lighted.

I have a train that sounds very similar to yours and costed out low voltage rope light and it would have been cheaper to buy 2 new ones, This year I was going to throw some DC white Fairy lights on it just to get it out and please the family but would love to find a way to add color back to this train and others.

Rob

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
From what i've seen at mini's I wouldn't hesitate in just using RGB dumb nodes cable tied to the frames end to end.

superman wireframe singing face lights.jpg

davrus

Silent elf
JPB said:
davrus said:
Can neon flex be cut at any length and is it easy to connect leads to it?

I have just been playing with EL Wire for a wire frame and am not happy with the brightness or thickness.

Jon

It says it is easy to cut and connect.
I first discovered this from someone who was using it to create a face for LipSync, so he would have been cutting it into short lengths.
I think you will find this to be much better than EL Wire.
The faces in this video are done with neon
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=3115.msg28063#msg28063
Chat with ShellNZ as she has real life experience with this stuff.

Damien

Making Christmas Light Motifs is FUN!!!!
Community project designer
Hi there,

Damien here from Christmas Creations, if you can give me the size of the rod the frames are made from I might be able to help you out. The clips we use on our frames range from 3.5mm to 6mm. We also have the Colour-mix LEDs that are used on the wireframes.

Regards

Damien

mangoat

Full time elf
Hey damien,

These colourmix leds you speak of...... how does one buy a string? Precoloured or just string and bulbs. Not sure how many id need but lots seems like a good measurement. Need 4 or 5 colours in the 1 setup.

If you could post some links that would be sweet as to what id need.

Cheers
Goat