Moving Channels

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have managed to get all of my channels set up in S3. On the screen the channels start with pixel 1 at the top going down to pixel 90 at the bottom for each of the 10 strings. After I brought in some images I realised that they appear upside down on the screen (they work correctly and appear the right way up on the matrix in real life).

Is there an easy way to rearrange the display order in LOR or do I have to bring them in from vegomatic again in a different way so they look the right way up on my screen. Or do you just get used to working with upside down images/patterns.

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
It is as simple as left click on the channel name and move it to the desired position, either up or down, then release the mouse button to drop into place.

Most probably though, the ideal way is to duplicate the "Master" track, and create a new track. This way the Master track is left as you original made it and you can alter the new track as you wish with the method above. When you sequence in the "new" track, both tracks are updated as the new one is a duplicate of the Master.

This is a good method for creating effects from say left to right across your whole display by moving the channels. In the same way, another track can be duplicated from the Master and a right to left could be created.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Gareth. When I duplicate the track and change the channel positions, can I export that channel configuration for future use. I only want to do this once.

I have 1000 rgb channels to change, so if there is another easier way I would still like to hear about it.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Are the chans grouped?

If not, then you could group them into your 10 strings, then just click and drag the groups in reverse, then rename the groups.

Then yes, you can export new configuration and save it as diff name or overwrite previous config, up to you

Ɠαяєтн

Depending on your license level, will give you how many tacks you can use. Advanced is unlimited.

The way I do this is create all my channels including the RGB ones in the master track, then duplicate to another track. I then group together in the newly created track and swap around as required, either as single, RGB or grouped channels. If you create groups in the master channel, then duplicate, dragging and dropping the channels in the duplicate track will also move the grouped channels in the master track.

This way you can create tracks with different groups and orders of the same channels, to achieve different effects simply. As Shell said, you can then save the channel config (export), and use at a later time. It saves all the tracks, channels, position and groups.

When I want to add new channels I just add at the bottom of the master track. You can delete channels completely from all tracks or from individual tracks.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Shell and Gareth. I have the advanced version. I do have my channels grouped into the 10 strings. But within each group there are 90 pixels with pixel 1 at the top and pixel 90 at the bottom. Whereas when they operate the tree pixel 1 is at the bottom of the tree and pixel 90 at the top. This of course means any images going to the strings are upside down on the computer screen.

Looks like I need some duplicate tracks. I've already done one string. Didn't take very long. Only hassle is even if I zoom right out I can't see pixel 1 and 90 on the same screen so it takes a couple of moves to get from top to bottom. I wish it was like excel where if you drag your mouse past the bottom the page starts scrolling. Oh well can't have everything.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Think I stuffed up here. I used duplicate track and then moved all 900 channels. Saved as I went and saved at end. Closed it down and then when I came back all 900 channels were back as before. After reading your post again I gather I should have used create new track. I even exported the channel configuration at the time and importing it back still doesn't help.

Oh well should be quicker the second time.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Now I am confused. Every time I duplicate or create a new track and then move the channels in the duplicated/new track the channels in the "master" track seem to move too. I'm sure the first time I did this process they didn't move in the master track.

Can anybody explain to me what is happening. Thanks again.

Ɠαяєтн

Hi Roy,

The way I do this is create all my channels including the RGB ones in the master track, then duplicate to another track. I then group together in the newly created track and swap around as required, either as single, RGB or grouped channels. If you create groups in the master channel, then duplicate, dragging and dropping the channels in the duplicate track will also move the grouped channels in the master track

Have you created groups in the track you are duplicating from?

Normally in the first track that I call "Master", I have all the RGB channels ungrouped in numerical order, i.e. the way they are in the controller(s). From this I duplicate the "Master" track to a second track, copy the timing and then call it "Groups". In the "Groups" track I then group together the RGB pixels in logical pieces as I would see it in the display. e.g. Perhaps one vertical leg of a megatree, then groupd all the legs into the tree itself. Doing it this way with no groups in the "Master" track should not cause any of the channels to move in the "Master" track when you move them in the "Groups" track.

You could then go on an again duplicate the "Master" track to a third track. Perhaps group the pixels as they are vertically in the display, e.g for doing vertical chases.

Then duplicate the "Master" again for a fourth track and do horizontal groups.

Because the tracks created are duplicates of the "Master" track, I suggest not to sequence in the "Master" track. Rather create your effects in the track which best suits your desired effect at the appropriate timing. These effects are then automatically 'copied' into all of the duplicated tracks including the "Master".

If by mistake you 'create' a new track and have the same channels as other tracks, the output of LOR will look very strange on the controlled lights as the tracks compete with each other. Fun if you want to create a new psychedelic effect.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Gareth, I did have groups (by string) in the track I was duplicating.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I just discovered that when you are moving channels and you need to move them over more than one screens worth you can scroll the screen by using the middle wheel. It's a little tricky to do whilst holding the left button down hold the channel you're moving but it is heaps quicker than two drags and drops. Just posting it up in case it helps other LOR users.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
I am an old LOR user, so this might not be correct but I assume that you are bringing your image in from nutcracker. If you are, you can set up your model in nutcracker to take care of your upside down problem. Or you could use BobO's flipper to take care of the problem. Just a quick note, hope it helps.
John