time to render a macro

Baf05

Full time elf
34 minutes????

you must be kidding!

That cant be right can it?

My fairy lights are over 10 universes and each universe has almost 500 channels, each string (universe) is broken up into 5 pixel groups and drawn in the visualiser as a line spread over 5 pixels. As these strings come out over the lawn, I have pretty much drawn each one on top of the other.

I have a core i7 with 16gig ram, and to render a 3 second colour slide macro, it took 34 minutes (and there were errors!)

This can't be right can it?

kane

Dedicated elf
Baf05 said:
34 minutes????

you must be kidding!

That cant be right can it?

My fairy lights are over 10 universes and each universe has almost 500 channels, each string (universe) is broken up into 5 pixel groups and drawn in the visualiser as a line spread over 5 pixels. As these strings come out over the lawn, I have pretty much drawn each one on top of the other.

I have a core i7 with 16gig ram, and to render a 3 second colour slide macro, it took 34 minutes (and there were errors!)

This can't be right can it?

I've seen some slow renders, but nowhere near that slow. Probably longest for 10 seconds worth would be a couple minutes to render, but that's with more like 20,000 channels...

arw01

Full time elf
How current are you video drivers? Is your microsoft .net all up to date ( i have no idea of LPS uses .net) but your seem to have a fundamental problem that we need to zero in on.

Alan

ron d

Apprentice elf
I have a pretty quick i7 but that sounds a bit long. Ensure all controllers are unclicked and nothing in the grid while generating effects. There is something really wrong somewhere in your setup as if that was consistent no one would be using LSP.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
with just 5k channels there definetly seems something wrong there

How long is the sequence you are doing this effect for

How many frames per second are you doing

You can come into issues if you have lots and lots and lost of unused timings from changed macros.

When programming you should always take into account the memory footprint, so timings, number of channels and length of sequence all play a part in this

One thing I always uncheck in the settings is the undo transitions as this can sometimes add to the processing time.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Take your Audio file and check it through Audacity.
Having a Mp3 with the wrong sample rate can also effect the processing time of macros, I did have this problem last year.

Sample rate should be 44100
Sample format 16 bit

these settings can be found in Audacity edit/preferences/quality

Baf05

Full time elf
nope, its a brand new machine. its basically empty...

I changed the song to 16bit, was 32, still no change.

Superman

Global moderator
still going with the Mp3 bit here.
after you install the new 16 bit file into the sequence be sure to reset the spectral cache by right clicking on the wave form in LSP and down the bottom select Maintenance tools/ clear spectral cache.

having the wrong mp3 settings absolutely kills LSP when it's mapping. I had this problem last year till I fixed my mp3's and it improved 10 fold.

arw01

Full time elf
The problem is DEFINETLY NOT the mp3 being something other than 16 bit 128k 44.1 sample. I've personally changed it and tried to render the macro for 4.0 seconds. After 8.5 minutes I aborted LSP.

SOO, what else my fellow LSP users do we suggest for a poor performance here?

Alan

gerry

Senior elf
Assuming that you have other stuff already in the sequence, is it worth creating a new sequence after running the MP3 through audacity , retrieving the controllers (elements) from the previous one and then try with just the macro (to localize whether it is the macro or other stuff/combination) ?

What are your sequence timings set at - 1/10 ? I did the above as my sequencing had become quite slow after repeated trail and errors and I also changed to 1/2 second timings. From Eddy's previous posts , I reduced the number of 'undo's' to 5 and changed the macros to 8 frames per second and it appeared to be much better. Was still slowish but I only have 4 GB ram on an I5.

Superman

Global moderator
Hi Alan,
You have obviously had a look at this in Teamviewer or something. The only other thing I would be looking at is the actual drawing of the channels as macro's rely on the channel drawings. I've previously seen people try to draw "to scale" matrices onto a small area and the dots in the visualizer end up mapping on top of each other.

That would be the only other thing I could think of inside of LSP itself.

I did a little test here with a 4980ch mega tree ran a 10 second macro (15fps) of a rainbow color slide from top to bottom bouncing 10 times. it took 55 seconds to do it.

I then redrew the tree as a smaller size so all the dots were overlapping and regenerated the same macro.That took about 8mins to do the exact same macro.

I think your answer may be in there somewhere Hopefully.

My computer is an 17 3.6gHz with 32 gb of ram.

Steve

Baf05

Full time elf
I am actually a step ahead superman, remember I said there were errors? What I am thinking is the the drawing of the channels with the errors is wrong, so I have it rendering a new one now so I can identify those channels and I will redraw them....

The over lapping could also be an issue as the way my dispay is set up the fairy lights come directly forward. As I have taken a picture directly I front of the house, I drew the pictures one on top of the other. That could also be an issue?

Superman

Global moderator
that will be it. You have to remember that LSP maps to those dots so sometime you need to be a bit creative in the way you draw them and where they are actually placed. Never attempt to get the visualizer to look the same as your display is just doesn't work out that way with thousands of channels.

once you correct that and have your MP3 right. you will see a huge difference with your computer.

In the future i'm sure there will be 3d mapping in the software but till then we have to work with what we have.

Sounds like your on top of it now.

Steve