DMX Wiring Cleanup

starzen

New elf
Have been using DMX but I have a big mess with my wiring. A combination of 5 pin and 3 pin DMX connectors, 4 an 3 pin waterproof connectors, cat5/6, some with power injection, etc

this makes it a pain of course to change things around

I would love to clean this up so I thought I'd go all cat5/6

Now my problem is that I have different types of equipment.

27 channel DMX controllers
These would not be an issue as they are inside a weatherproof box

3 channel DMX controllers
These I have mounted inside a small piece of PVC pipe with ends on it and then a wire comes out with a 4 pin waterproof connector that carries DMX and power

wall washers
these are similar as above and currently use 4 pin waterproof connectors

I don't see any good options for waterproof cat5 connections that are not crazy expensive

maybe I should forget about cat5 and just go with the 4 pin connectors. Downside of course you cant just take a cat5 cable and use it. Would have to change the connector first

what do you guys use for dmx cabling / connections

thanks

Mike

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Cat5 cable with entry into the enclosures via bull nose cable entries which double for air inlets for ventilation.
You can see how I did it back in 2011 by clicking on the link on my signature.

starzen

New elf
David

yes the ones with large enclosures are not a problem

problem is I have a number of things that simply have a pigtail coming out. One of them are Rays wall washers. they have a pigtail with dmx and power

another one is an enclosure I made for the 3ch controllers that are hidden inside each tree

3chcont.jpg

at Halloween I have skeletons and I just have a cable hanging out with a waterproof pigtail on it as well

love to have waterproof female cat5 pigtails

scamper

Dedicated elf
I just decided right from the get go (well after I bought a lot of cat 5 and found out what a pain in the a*$e they were to make) to go with 4 pin water proof.
I use plus minus and DMX + and -. I then use a different colour heat shrink (red) to identify that it is DMX.
as I also use the same 4 pin connectors for rgb.
This way I can use the same extension leads so I can vary where it goes.
I just need to be vigilant on hooking up the extension lead as I run it so as not to confuse myself :-[

starzen

New elf
probably going to end up doing that as well. Actually most of my stuff right now uses the 4 pin connectors for DMX and 3 pin for pixels. the only ones that are not are the ones that have standard dmx connectors on and they are all inside larger cases so I can easily add a pigtail to it

Would have been nice to use cat5 because it is easier to quickly change a cable if the length isn't right or you need an additional one. the 4 pin connectors are not available locally anywhere so you better not run out at a bad time.

J

New elf
easiest solution i can think of at the moment is using a piece of glue lined heatshrink or vinyl mastic tape to seal a standard rj45 connector and socket. Only problem is that it will be a pain to remove.

scamper

Dedicated elf
the 4 pin connectors are not available locally anywhere so you better not run out at a bad time.
I started by buying 50 pairs of them, then as I was using them up so quickly, I ordered another 100 pairs.
That should see me through this year :D

starzen

New elf
so I am probably going to standardize on the 4 pin waterproof connectors.

going to think out loud.

main cable
connected to a Entec pro will be a short cable with 5 pin male DMX and 4 pin female waterproof. Only GND, D+ and D- connected

extension cords
4 pin male to 4 pin female
I am going to only connect 3 pins. GND D+ and D-. that way I can use power injection at the device depending on what the device needs.

some small extension cords will be made that also carry power as I have some devices in series that need power injection from one power supply

power injection
need some T connections for power injection. 4 pin male to female with a 2 pin male connector for power injection

Devices
on the plugs for a device it depends on the device.
All need a male (in) and female (out) plug of course. depending on the device it either only connects GND, D+, D- or also connects V+

going to label all the cable ends somehow to show if power is connected

sound about right ?