Adding a second controller

Greg

New elf
I have two of the Joshua1 P12 controllers, the first one is set to IP 10.10.10.10. I'm using all 12 universes and everything is working as it should so I want to add another controller for an additional 12 universes. I'm currently using E1.31 in Multicast

I have questions concerning the second controller I was hoping to get help with:

1-On the second one I would need to set a unique IP address such as 10.10.10.50 right?

2-On the Controller String config page would I still use universe 1-12 since I'm already using universe 1-12 on the
first controller?

3-In the LOR Network Preferences I also have Universe 1-12 set up

So I'm not really sure how to set up the second controller, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!-

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Answers as I see it.

1. Yes, you need a new unique IP address.

2. No on the controller you need to tell it to use universes 13-24. If you use 1-12 you will get a copy of what you are sending to your existing controller, ie exactly the same data will get sent to both controllers (so use 1-12 if you want a copy).

3. In LOR you need to set up universe 13-24 as above (again use 1-12 if you want an exact copy on both controllers).

I'm guessing you're adding a new controller to use different/more lights so will need to set up the extra universes for the new controller.

Habbosrus

Back again
If you are running multicast there is no need to set the ip address (although you can if you choose to). If going through a switch/router, have it assign the ip address via dhcp. You then set your universes 13-24 (or whatever universes you choose to use) on the second controller. Multicast will send out the signal to all controllers and find the correct universe. If running unicast, you then assign the ip address and the signal is only sent to that ip address. I believe this to be correct as I've been playing around with multicast vs unicast for the past couple of months in my setup.