Rationalising power supply

frankt

New elf
Our display is relatively primitive - off the shelf (mostly BigW) strings run around garden beds, roof etc - I keep coming up with problem of having too many 240 to 30v transformers to run off a single power board (240v type). I have seen power boards piggybacking power boards but don't want to go there. Has anyone used a single low voltage power supply to power maybe 10-12 strings of say 600 leds. Also could that same power supply be used to increase the total number of leds in a string (bigw generally 600 leds) perhaps up to 2400. Any advice appreciated.

Habbosrus

Back again
How are you controlling them? Or are they going to be steady on? I used a 31V power supply from Ray Wu here to run my Big W lights via a 2811DC15 from AAH. I only have 3 strings off mine. There's about 100mtr of lights in those 3 strings.

franky_888

Full time elf
I think frankturnbull is hacking his MFC's only, so would be looking to maximise the number of strings that could be run off 1 x 240V out-of-the-box power supply.

Is this corect frankturnbull?

frankt

New elf
Currently i have 10 or so strings each with their own bigw power supply requiring 10 * 240v outlets to plug into. Would like to have 1 or 2 power supplies and distribute power at low voltage. I would have thought (although i am very new to this) that i might be able to retain bigw type controllers. Not necessarily looking for string function being coordinated

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If you're using the original Big W MFCs, the only real option is a 24Vac toroidal transformer. I'd say it would have to be rated for approx 200VA. Altronics sells one here.

Habbosrus

Back again
Hey Frank, There's still time before Xmas to get a controller and a power supply. You could do some basic sequences. Go on. You know you want to ;)
Whereabouts in NSW are you?

frankt

New elf
You are right Habbosrus, i probably do want to I am up the valley south of Singleton

Habbosrus

Back again
You're not that far away from me so if you find yourself down this way give me a yell. I'll show you through my little setup and help you along if I can.
Have you been into Chat? There's normally a bunch of talented people in there ready and willing to pass on some knowledge. Be warned though, you will probably come away with CLAP - and it's great :D

uppitt

Apprentice elf
I think after this year I need to seriously look at some PSUs to get rid of the million plug packs I have. A lot is 24v, but have a lot of the bigw 31v strings. There's no cure for CLAP right? ;)

sparkyg

New elf
Is there any chance you can post a pic of the power supply you bought please.....sounds like just what i need
BilboBoggles said:
I bought a 30v dc 4a switch mode supply on ebay. Thats enought for about 30 sets.

sparkyg

New elf
Can anyone post a picture or info on the power supply billobug is talking about please

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799/search?SearchText=waterproof%20power&PPValue=196-411,439-3956
is possibly similar to what he has bought. I'd trust the waterproofing of an aliexpress purchased power supply slightly more than ANYTHING purchased on ebay.
As for running 30 sets that's pushing the friendship. A set of fairy lights (depending on length) is usually about 5W. 30V 4A is 120W so that works out to 24 sets to run the power supply at 100% capacity. The actual wattage of the strings will affect the number and whether the voltage selected for the power supply runs them at the same brightness. As soon as you change the brightness up or down the power usage will vary dramatically.