Is there an easy way to remove the sticky tape off tie down mounts

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
As the title says, is there a good technique for getting the double sided sticky tape off the back of the zippy tie cable mounts.

Next time I'll be buying ones with no tape attached.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Do not soak them in metho. Did this last year and 100 mounts melted into one. I just used a razor blade (Stanley knife) to peel away at them

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
You could use De solve it. Great for removing sticky things from most surfaces..

JPB

Full time elf
The ones I have I warm them up with a hot air gun and then the tape lifts off. A quick wipe with a metho rag gets rid of the residue glue. Too much heat or metho melts them.

Habbosrus

Back again
Hold your tongue out the side of your mouth (this assists with concentration). Grumble and groan a bit. Swear like a trooper when you cut your fingers. After 30 minutes you will have removed the sticky stuff from one tie down mount :D And now you only have a hundred more to do :eek: .
Just jokin'. I've scraped some off with a craft knife and then used eucalyptus oil as Kel suggested. I think you need to try my first method though, just to get the real Christmas Lighting experience. I am sure there are many with much more experience than I, that will know what I mean ::)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
My technique has been very slow and arduous. First I stick them all over the roof, then as they come off, I then silicone them down like I should have done in the first place. [emoji12]

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
Hold your tongue out the side of your mouth (this assists with concentration). Grumble and groan a bit. Swear like a trooper when you cut your fingers. After 30 minutes you will have removed the sticky stuff from one tie down mount :D And now you only have a hundred more to do :eek: .

This was my technique too. I had already done mine before I asked. Wish I had of asked first now. Was going to try soaking them in petrol. Glad I didn't do that. Thanks for the tips. Also thanks for the laughs I got from some of the responses.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
I've recently done another batch and actually just found rubbing the adhesive off by hand to be the quickest. Tried a blade, scraper and knife but they all end up leaving more residue and makes it harder to get off.
The ones I have peeled off pretty easily hence the reason they don't work leaving it on.

buzzdude

Full time elf
I've used a hot air gun to heat up back for about 10 seconds, then the backing peals straight off. Rinse and repeat 100 times :) Then to remove the residue, I used eucalyptus oil as kel has said. Took a while but got there. Also found Tarzan grip works to stick them to the roof tiles and guttering. Glue foams a bit if you put too much on, but it sticks and stays. Liquid nails and other silicone just heated up in the sun and became soft.
Shane

Shanta

New elf
I have no experience with these, but I usually find gummy stuff easier to remove when cold. I'd try sticking them in the freezer overnight.

jerrymac

Apprentice elf
Try "Goof Off". works great, if you can't find that brand, use Cigarette lighter fluid (zippo fluid). It is actually the same thing. Don't soak just use a little and of course not around an open flame (less you want to light your cigar with them). Really works good.

elnino

Full time elf
I went through this same thing a few weeks ago thinking there must be an easier way. My solution - Acetone!

i popped 50 of them i bought from Supercheap in a jar of Acetone, come back in 15 mins and they all just slide off. The foam does not melt, or the clip itself, just the glue = no residue.

NB This was with White Nylon clips - YMMV with other colours/types.