Distance controller pixelite16

paranco

New elf
Hello everyone A question use a controller pixelite16 with 22 RGB LED strips ws2811, maximum distance that I can hold between the controller and the first pixel.

Consider that I joined 2 strips for a total of 300 pixels and I like 5 meters away from the controller, only that when I want to play back pictures do not get the desired effect the pixels I turn on randomly

May depend on what is the length between the controller and the first pixel that is too long

Sequences with simple works quite well apart from some slight flicker

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Paranco,

That sounds like a typical noise problem. If you run something where they are all doing same colours for instance it works OK but when you run complex patterns it flickers a lot?

What this normally means is that noise is coupling across from one wire to another. When the data is the same it doesn't matter but when they are supposed to be doing different things there is interference.

Are you running the cables close together and with no shielding? Try separating some of the wires from the others and see if it improves.

paranco

New elf
hello L_Tay thanks for the reply,
the cables are all inside a sheath and are 5mm section but are not shielded ...
the problem is the shield? does not count the length of the cable?

I forgot, the sheath there are power cords

ltay13

Full time elf
Length does play a role as well. So one easy way to test then is to unplug all outputs except for one and run the complex pattern again. If it works and then adding in other outputs makes it worse, it will be noise coupling from each wire across to the next. Then try separate them physically or shield them to fix it.

paranco

New elf
actually the beginning of the sequence with a few pixels on, the sequence is correct, when the pixels become many sequence is no longer correct wrong color and position.
Separate the wires being inside a sheath will be difficult I mounted everything, maybe I can shorten the wires to the minimum possible and hope it's enough.

I thank you so much for the advice that I have suggested.
thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
I am always suspect that most issues are directly related to lack of power. Testing with an all white pattern with da_e131 is the easiest way to check for power issues. If you have any glitches there, pinkness or anything latching on then it is quite possibly power. Having a complex signal modulating the DC power running the pixels can certainly effect the performance too though. Sometimes it is 20 or 30A of DC that is being switched just about instantly across the entire strings of pixels if you are turning things on and off from black to white for instance.

paranco

New elf
AAH Thanks for your answer
all strings are fed individually and use two feeders 30A
The problem of the lights flickering them I though at that time are turned on only 40% of the lights, while in a sequence where I turn on all the lights together (red and blue alternately) no problems flicker.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You say you joined 2 strips together, did you inject power for the second strip, because if you didnt do this then your issue is most probably caused by voltage drop as you need to inject power into the second strip.
The best way is to inject at the end of the second strip back down the strip if the strip is configured in a zig zag, but if you dont have any injection and are running 2 strips together then that will be your issue or at least one of them.

paranco

New elf
This is a schematic diagram of:
blue line = 5v power
Green line = signal
Rectangle red = strip of LEDs

Attachments

• Immagine10.png
    Immagine10.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 31

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
IMO - you need to get power in the other end as well... strip is very unforgiving with power.

The other issue u may have is adding some null pixels between the 1st strip and ur pixlite I normally only get 3-4mt without a null pixel

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Looks like you are adding the correct injection power at the back end of the second strip. What is missing from your diagram is how you have connected the ground wires, Does the ground from each output also go to the strip and how far away is the power supply and the controller from eachother

paranco

New elf
The negative has not been drawn but obviously is connected. The section of the cable used is 0.5mm