My Interactive Wi-Fi Matrix

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
This thread is documenting my interactive Wi-Fi Matrix system that I built during 2013 for last year's display, and once again running this year.

Basically, I'm running a Wi-Fi hotspot where by visitors can come along and type their name in; and it will then appear on my matrix automatically, in sync with the sequence's colouring.

Technically there's a few things happening in the background to make all this happen seamlessly. Lets start with this block diagram:
WiFiMatrix-Diagram.jpg

Basically, my Sequencer (eg: LSP last year, FPP this year, or any E1.31 source), rather than sending directly to the light controller, is transmitting to another computer on my network which is running my own 'Matrix Controller' software that 'rewrites' these E1.31 packets, which in turn are transmitted to the board running the Matrix.

The 'Matrix Controller' software is constantly reading from a MySQL Database to see what names there is to display. This database also contains the whitelist of safe names to display; and names not to display so I can auto-ban anyone who's being silly with it. More on that later in part 2.

WiFiMatrix-Software.jpg

The controller software has some manual / testing controls, along with timing options. Every 15 names I insert a 'promo slide' loop, where by artwork is shown telling users that the matrix is interactive, etc

To overlay the names themselves, what my software is doing is alpha blending a monochrome masking image (the name) against a colour matrix (that is being received from the sequencer) Each pixel has a bitwise calculation performed (eg: colour value AND masking value = result) so a simple 'photoshop' style merger takes place. This merge imaged is then translated to new E1.31 packets

My matrix is 136x10 Pixels (8 universes off fully loaded P2 board- but since the Sydney meet earlier this year is now adjustable for different sizes, and different matrix wiring patterns/channels mapping. (zigzag vs left-right, right-left, etc.)

WiFiMatrix-Masking.jpg

Now to save CPU time on calculating how to scale text to fit the matrix, every name in the system has been pre-rendered as a GIF Image. This was done by script using ImageMagicK, and took a while to churn out 130,000+ images. (I also have another app that runs that monitors the database for new names, and if detected, will render the artwork GIF file, update database, so the Matrix Controller can then display it. :)

WiFiMatrix-Images.jpg

PART 2 - The Wi-Fi Portal coming soon. :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I think that using a white list (pre-approved names) is really the only option unless you want to sit there approving (or not) each one manually as they come in.

The black list (bad words) would be optional from a display perspective but handy for blocking future requests from the same device.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The Martin Place Christmas tree in Sydney has a similar feature where people can text a message that will scroll up the ribbon. This needs to be monitored all the time as people can be very creative when trying to bypass a profanity filter and the only way to ensure its all clean is to manually do it.

kel

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
I think that using a white list (pre-approved names) is really the only option unless you want to sit there approving (or not) each one manually as they come in.

The black list (bad words) would be optional from a display perspective but handy for blocking future requests from the same device.

I think you meant to say 'nice' and 'naughty' lists ;)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
kel said:
David_AVD said:

I think you meant to say 'nice' and 'naughty' lists ;)

Nope, that's what they are called. No PC pandering here. :)