Fusion 360 models + xmodels - Santa, spinners and stars

silver_ice

New elf
Heya

Just thought I'd share these in case anyone else wanted to do some CNC props - Dropbox

In here I've got a Singing Santa face and xmodel file to go with it, a star for 200 pixels, Hello Kitty (no model, I just did it for my daughter and lit it up statically), and some small spinners for the garden. All holes are spec'd to 12.25mm to accomodate bullet pixels. I found 12mm ply worked pretty well for these - anything smaller died under the weight of the pixels. That said, if I can get full coro sheets this year, I'll be giving that a crack.

Enjoy

fugley

Apprentice elf
of all the tools and crap ive made over the years with the cnc THIS 3D printed pen holder for the CNC is a life saver over the last one id had
ill NEVER cut props any more without first drawing the wiring layout on the back to save time later

silver_ice

New elf
Yep, very nice.... on some of my newer drawings, ive started to just engrave the wiring layout - another reason thickish ply works well.

fugley

Apprentice elf
ill open a can of worms with all the MDF haters 😂
megatree topper 30mm mdf
all arches and candy canes 18mm mdf
BUT all were painted automotive lacquer and have done three seasons in the snow, rain and heat of the sun
IMG_2445.jpg

silver_ice

New elf
I like the recess where the lights live on these.....same with ply though, have to paint it, 100%. My problem was 3 - 7mm ply or MDF sucked when the weight got too much - Bunnos had $50 sheets of 12mm ply and its holding up perfectly, but still needed to paint

Allen

New elf
hey this is awsome! Absolute pain but I don't have fusion 360, I have Autodesk Autocad and .f3d files can only be opened in Fusion. I've googled converting but it basically says open it in fusion and save it as something else haha. any chance you'd mind uploading dwg or dxf?? something more generic? Really appreciate you sharing these awsome pieces of work with us too!!

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
ill open a can of worms with all the MDF haters 😂
megatree topper 30mm mdf
all arches and candy canes 18mm mdf
BUT all were painted automotive lacquer and have done three seasons in the snow, rain and heat of the sun

MDF is all based upon you use it really. a lot of people expect too much from it and complain when it fails. Looks like you sealed it properly to prevent moisture issues. I'm curious how the mdf topper is holding up. How much weight it carries and if it is starting to sag or not? Had a topper from Holiday Coro my first year that started sagging under the weight of the megatree after one year.

silver_ice

New elf
hey this is awsome! Absolute pain but I don't have fusion 360, I have Autodesk Autocad and .f3d files can only be opened in Fusion. I've googled converting but it basically says open it in fusion and save it as something else haha. any chance you'd mind uploading dwg or dxf?? something more generic? Really appreciate you sharing these awsome pieces of work with us too!!
Yup! I can, I just need to do some projecting to get everything back to a 2D plane - gimme a day or so.

Allen

New elf
Yup! I can, I just need to do some projecting to get everything back to a 2D plane - gimme a day or so.
absolutely not a problem. you'd think they'd make some kind of autodesk conversion tool. They have so many cad programs between fusion, cad, inventor and many others that they'd make it a little easier between their own software suits.

EDIT* I am downloading fusion for personal use. This might sort out my problem. will let you know.

silver_ice

New elf
Fusion personal will sort ya out, yes - but its a fair point and I'll do it anyway, since folks may wanna project or do a CAM setup for laser cutting or whatever, so it will be good to have the DXF's anyways

Allen

New elf
appreciate it. fusion personal wouldn't allow me to export as dwg of dxf, it seems they lock it down and you have to pay for that privilage also. So I'm still left unlucky it would seem. and that's my actual plan. I have access to a small router cnc but also access to a large plasma cnc so I'm thinking of ally or thing mild steel props :)

fugley

Apprentice elf
MDF is all based upon you use it really. a lot of people expect too much from it and complain when it fails. Looks like you sealed it properly to prevent moisture issues. I'm curious how the mdf topper is holding up. How much weight it carries and if it is starting to sag or not? Had a topper from Holiday Coro my first year that started sagging under the weight of the megatree after one year.
to be fair this topper was never to be used, when i first looked at making a megatree i was unsure which way to go, with hanging eye hooks or to fold the strip like i have done here, it was also to only be a test for shape & size
so this stay out side testing over winter unpainted, and like we tend to find time starts to fly by and before i knew it was to late so i quickly throw some black paint on it as is and crossed my fingers and used it
three season later its looking a lot worse for wear altho it done its day as im changing the tree from 16/50 @ 2" to 24/150 @ 1"

now to go back to my first idea of using milk bottles LOL

IMG_2451.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2458.jpg

silver_ice

New elf
Ok sorry for the delay - i have added some DXF's of the same. the "Pixel" versions are the sketches with the drilling pattern but I also included the outline versions which are just the raw sketch before adding drill holes etc, as both might be useful.

Allen

New elf
Ok sorry for the delay - i have added some DXF's of the same. the "Pixel" versions are the sketches with the drilling pattern but I also included the outline versions which are just the raw sketch before adding drill holes etc, as both might be useful.
I appreciate this so much thankyou!! Like you mentioned too I'm sure others will find this really helpful too