Joining low voltage led strings together.

Phil262

New elf
Hi all.

Is anyone able to provide any information on connecting up individual sets of low voltage led light strings to 1 transformer. Grabbed some clearance lights at Bunnings last year. 250 string sets. 12 MTR lit length. Was hoping to hook a few strings to 1 transformer and make a longer set. I'm not great with electronics though lol. Trying to learn as I go. Any suggestions or links to wiring diagrams or how tos would be great.

Thanks.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
There was discussion about this on ACL sometime this last 8 months or so. I couldn't find the right words to search. I do remember there was a concern about the power draw of multiple strings both in total and for the wire size. I don't remember if they said it would be okay or not. I suspect it was buried in a thread about something else which is why I can't find it.

vk3heg

Full time elf
If you want to run them end to end then NO. The wires are not built to handle the current.
But if you run all the led strings from a bigger (amp's) psu, then they will be fine... (Ie: like a spider, with the legs being the strings, and the psu the body).

Last edited:

Phil262

New elf
Thanks for that. Maybe I can extend the lead back to the original power supply and if it has enough juice it will be like having 1 string just with a couple extra leader wires. And I'll cable tie it together. Thanks for the advice.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I remember the fun I had 8 years ago wiring multiple sets of lights to the same transformer. Back then I only took note of the voltages.... not knowing what current limits meant. It worked alright but foolish looking back on it.

If you know what voltage the power supply is for the lights, you could find a higher current capable power supply and wire the lights to that.
E.g. most Bunnings lights are 31v. 30v would do fine.
As said already, wiring strings end-to-end is not ideal given the light string's wire is not capable of more current. So wiring each string back to the power supply is best.

Thanks for that. Maybe I can extend the lead back to the original power supply and if it has enough juice it will be like having 1 string just with a couple extra leader wires. And I'll cable tie it together. Thanks for the advice.
They used to sell thing wire extension cables for the 31v or 24v lights. Easily it would work for 10m.