Newbie needs help with 2023 build

apomma

New elf
First New Build Christmas 2022 - Rough Plan

Following from previous years success with a single 5v strip and Xlights, I am planning on the following and would love any feedback.

• Control and Power consists of DigiQuad and Meanwell LRS-450 12V (350 is sold out and trying to obtain everything by December)
  • 6 x Ray Wu C9 WS2811 12v pixel strings across three runs / channels from control box. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000080113524.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.258e38daYrjAA3&mp=1)
  • Spacing of C9 Pixels to be about 5 inches.
  • 1st Pixel Run - 12m / 93 nodes
  • 2nd Pixel Run - 6m / 48 nodes
  • 3rd Pixel Run - 18.5m / 142 nodes
  • Run WLED and XLIGHTS, hopefully being able to order the channels so that the effects happen in order across the strings.
I've attached a pic below depicting the roof line of the house and relative channels in positioning to the control box.

I've just got a few questions.

- Has anyone had experience with these certain Ray Wu C9 pixels. Data sheet states they draw 66MA; is this comparable to other pixel set ups?
- Is my general layout OK given the positioning of the power and control? I will probably have to inject power on the third run?
- Has anyone had any success with WLED and XLIGHTS with a string that should theoretically be continuous being split into three channels and appear as a continuous effect start to end?

I really appreciate any feedback. I am hoping to pull the trigger on the lights in the next day or two.

IMG_8359.JPG

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
  • Control and Power consists of DigiQuad and Meanwell LRS-450 12V (350 is sold out and trying to obtain everything by December)

Instead of an LRS-450, think about going with a RPS model that is more efficient, I use some RPS-500s. When I bought them the 350s were hard to get and expensive but the RPS-500 was only a little more expensive and gives a more better value.

I've just got a few questions.

- Has anyone had experience with these certain Ray Wu C9 pixels. Data sheet states they draw 66MA; is this comparable to other pixel set ups?
- Is my general layout OK given the positioning of the power and control? I will probably have to inject power on the third run?

That 66MA is a full power what rating. Most do not run at full 100% brightness and newer LEDs also tend to be more power efficient so that number might be lower in reality depending on how you use it. Your layout seems fine and you might need to power inject at the end of the long string but it also depends on what brightness you will be running I think. As an example I only run at 30% brightness for most things and the show is plenty bright.

- Has anyone had any success with WLED and XLIGHTS with a string that should theoretically be continuous being split into three channels and appear as a continuous effect start to end?

I did something similar last year when I had to split an eave across two different ports which were in the middle of the string so they ran left and right and had to use a custom model. It took a little work and someone from the chat helped me get it setup and it worked perfectly. This year I fixed the wiring and made it easier for myself. It's also might be possible to configure them each as 3 different rooflines in xLights and then use a shadow model to sequence them as 1 long roofline. I've not used shadow models yet but that would give you more options in playing with different sequences.

Cheers.

apomma

New elf
Instead of an LRS-450, think about going with a RPS model that is more efficient, I use some RPS-500s. When I bought them the 350s were hard to get and expensive but the RPS-500 was only a little more expensive and gives a more better value.

That 66MA is a full power what rating. Most do not run at full 100% brightness and newer LEDs also tend to be more power efficient so that number might be lower in reality depending on how you use it. Your layout seems fine and you might need to power inject at the end of the long string but it also depends on what brightness you will be running I think. As an example I only run at 30% brightness for most things and the show is plenty bright.

I did something similar last year when I had to split an eave across two different ports which were in the middle of the string so they ran left and right and had to use a custom model. It took a little work and someone from the chat helped me get it setup and it worked perfectly. This year I fixed the wiring and made it easier for myself. It's also might be possible to configure them each as 3 different rooflines in xLights and then use a shadow model to sequence them as 1 long roofline. I've not used shadow models yet but that would give you more options in playing with different sequences.

Cheers.
Thanks for the advice mate. Just put the order in and upgraded to the RPS-500 👍🏻