sonos application, sonos amplifier + outdoor speaker and x light scheduler

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
Hi All , It will be my first year of doing pixel lights . i need some inputs and ideas how will i manage the audio. I currently have sonos amplifier at the back of the house but i think, i can still connect another set of outdoor speakers at the front of the house as my audio source of my display . questions are: is having a sonos application in my laptop could link to the x light scheduler to control the sounds especially the volume which shoud gradually to lower the volume as the especially late night hours so can’t disturb too much the neighbours? Any advice or hints to have a good audio output of our displays? thanks in advance!

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Sounds like you have a lot of choices. Having xScheduler set the volume down is an easy one, because it works well with any choice you'd make about how to get the audio out to the speakers.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
Sounds like you have a lot of choices. Having xScheduler set the volume down is an easy one, because it works well with any choice you'd make about how to get the audio out to the speakers.
Thanks, i have to try soon ! haven’t opened the scheduler yet and i don’t know how it works …

merryoncherry

Senior elf
If you want to wander around in the UI and try it, there are two important tricks:
1. Try using right click everywhere on the tree
2. If you can't find what you want, try using right click everywhere else

You have to make a playlist.
You can right click the playlist tree and pick "add command"
The command you want could be "set volume to" and parameter 1 can be the volume.
Then you can put these playlists in the schedule when you want the adjustments made.

1687963378922.png

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I would be concerned about using Sonos as the way that they operate will introduce some lag into the audio as it is processed and transmitted over wifi.
This will mean you're lights and audio will be out of synchronisation.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
A good question, I don't know, and maybe 🤣 it's one of those "try it and see" approaches.
But until it's tested it's an unknown that needs to be potentially considered.

That said, if the audio output is hard wired as an analog signal to the amplifier, and the speakers are directly attached, and there is no analog to digital conversion taking place, it might be a moot point.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
One other thing to keep in mind - some delays in some equipment is variable. It is x-seconds one time it is played, it is x+1 seconds another time. Just check the system to look for variability of the playback device along with transmission.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
I would be concerned about using Sonos as the way that they operate will introduce some lag into the audio as it is processed and transmitted over wifi.
This will mean you're lights and audio will be out of synchronisation.
Hi Skymaster, how about using ethernet cable from sonos amp to the laptop as attached with attached picture? have anyone tried this before? thanks.

Attachments

• C1312C3C-3413-4895-AA78-EFC82D77C3EB.png
    C1312C3C-3413-4895-AA78-EFC82D77C3EB.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 7

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
A good question, I don't know, and maybe 🤣 it's one of those "try it and see" approaches.
But until it's tested it's an unknown that needs to be potentially considered.

That said, if the audio output is hard wired as an analog signal to the amplifier, and the speakers are directly attached, and there is no analog to digital conversion taking place, it might be a moot point.
hi maybe this is the answers to my question to you ? thanks

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Looking at that photo you'd probably want to wire the computer from its audio out to the input jacks labelled #5 - this is likely the "path of least resistance" where you'd be able to do remote volume control, without the actual audio signal needing to enter the digital domain.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
Looking at that photo you'd probably want to wire the computer from its audio out to the input jacks labelled #5 - this is likely the "path of least resistance" where you'd be able to do remote volume control, without the actual audio signal needing to enter the digital domain.
hi , i think no , i’ll use
hi , i think no ? it’s because the laptop can’t connect to this input of sonos amp . i’ll be using the port 2 ( one of ethernet port ) to connect to my computer instead of wifi connections (which could results some delays on audio ) then the volume control will still be with the x light scheduler ( or the sonos application to test ) . please advise. thanks