Stream Audio to FPP PI player

Swede_84

New elf
Hi
I'm having a Raspbarry Pi acting as my FPP player. In the same box I have my Falcon F16 and a amplifier going to a par of outdoor speakers. The hole thing is placed in the middle of my yard, so it would be nice to be able to stream audio to the speakers sometimes. (example when I have barbeque party's or when I'm is outdoor working in the days)

I have found some videos on youtube, on how to turn your raspbarry pi to a Chromecast, exactly what I will. Then I can using Google to turn my speakers to a group
But I´m afraid that this will mess up the FPP installation, and I'm not good at Linux at all.

So is there somebody here that has done something similar?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Your biggest issue with using any form of streaming or casting over a network is that it will introduce a heap of latency and throw your show completely out of sync.

Your best bet for any form of transmission where cables is not an option is to use an FM transmitter connected to the Pi, and a radio tuned into that station.

Swede_84

New elf
Sorry for not making this clear.
The streaming is not to be used when playing shows.
When I´m playing shows I will upload songs and lightshows to (Raspbarry Pi) falcon player, and play it on the wired network in the box.

The streaming is for those moment you want some background sound in the daytime, or in the nights when you have some static background lights. No need to worry about latency

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
for simplicity you could upload a bunch of mp3's and add to a playlist and just use that as your background audio and control the background playlist from FPP - not so much streaming but it would work without changing anything.

Alternatively, you could use a separate pi setup as a network audio receiver (many different methods to this fake chromecast, fake sonos speaker etc ) does the amp support multiple isolated inputs? Otherwise you may get some noisy audio.

I would avoid messing with the FPP install to control multiple audio sources, its asking for show problems!