Mysterious raids around the world

Slite

Full time elf
AussiePhil said:
swfraserau said:
I have access to a supply of these a work. I had actually grabbed one a few weeks ago with the idea of putting lights into it just like this (though I didn't have any idea about what could actually be done with RGB stuff back then). I will have a look tomorrow to see what is left there.
On a side note I have a question. Has anyone done anything like using 90mm stormwater pipe cut in half, with a strip of Corro over the front? I would like to do this for the veranda posts of our house,which are about 5m high, and I would like a softer, diffused look, rather than a thin line of pixels.

Now there's an idea.....
I believe that dmoore did something similar but only using coro and from memory it looked quite good.

Cheers
Phil

Yeah, I think he just did rounded coro (I guess just slit it between the flutes and bent it???) and placed over strip, at least thats what it looks like on his behind the scenes video.

As for cutting 90mm pipe in half and using coro too difuse...sounds good, BUT... how would you hold the pipe in place? Wouldnt it be easier to find square plastic tubing and cut in half? Would work nicely to difuse with coro and also just drill some holes in the "back" wall of the tubing and then just use deck-screws to fasten the tubing to the posts? Or, you could hot glue plastic tiewrap holders to the back of the tubing and tiewrap them in place I guess.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Well they raiding continues to occur, the first shop I called today had already given away all their tubes for the rest of the year to an unknown addict to build a Santa Claus.
Fortunately I have lined two other tinting outlets up to pick all their tubes up. Primary lengths used at the places are 20" and 30" and I will be leaving my forum name at each place if other local members are searching.

Much appreciate the great videos and heads up on were to get these tubes

swfraserau

New elf
OK at work I can get 20"(50.8cm) or 60"(152.4cm). There are dozens of the 20" ones and about 10 of the 60". One of the guys that does the tints says he can get more of the 60's if needed.
If anybody wants any let me know.

Robbo

Full time elf
swfraserau said:
OK at work I can get 20"(50.8cm) or 60"(152.4cm). There are dozens of the 20" ones and about 10 of the 60". One of the guys that does the tints says he can get more of the 60's if needed.

Beacy visited his local tint shop today and picked up 8 60" tubes.....

I plan on visiting a couple shops tomorrow, www.tintacar.com.au

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
swfraserau said:

I could be interested in a few 60 inch ones if i cant find them down my way

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
swfraserau said:

Like Eddy I would love some 60" ones but haven't found any in ACT yet, they seem to have 20" and 30". Freighting them down here may be expensive though.

Steve22537

Full time elf
Phil - Have a look for a tinter who does trucks and busses.

I was able to get 10 x 60" tubes today, he was more than happy for me to take them.
Made it a bit sweeter for him by offering to take the cardboard boxes as well, which I'll take down to the cardboard recyclers tomorrow.

I've sacrificed one tube for enviromental testing (Its up on the roof of the house)

Steve

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I have a bunch of "happy tubes" which are about a metre long with separate R, G & B LEDs. I forgot I had them (about 20 brand new ones + controller) until I dragged them out last month. They give an effect much like Phil shows.

In those, the PCB (with LEDs and electronics) sits towards the "back" of the tube so the viewing angle is about 300 degrees. Replicating this look is what I had in mind when i picked up the tubes at Reverse Garbage.

Mine are similar to these:

1.0x0.jpg

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Here's a second photo after Glenn came round, he had some thin wall tube to compare with the thick wall.

Thick wall is 3.5mm
Thin wall is 2.1

The thin wall is whiter and less opaque but once the lights are inside they seem essentially the same

BTW the LED String is one of the RGB Icicles i'm doing up

Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• tube2.jpg
    tube2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50

Henedce

Apprentice elf
Scored 20 - 30 60" today at my local Tint-a-Car , just got to go pick them up tomorrow . He has also promised to keep them for me till I say stop :) which may be never.

So many ideas come to mind . Just got to figure a way to join them .

Timon

Apprentice elf
Sorry for being dumb but just where are you getting these from? I think they are leftovers but exactly from what. Maybe I can find some here in the US?

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
They are the empty rolls that window tintimg comes on. People are going to places like "tint-a-car", an aussie tinting shop and asking for the throw aways.