Benefits of the attending mini's

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
After the Adelaide mini light expo 2013 I have a story to tell. The mini was a great event and there were 3 diseases spread. I helped spread all 3 unfortunately. The CLAP (Christmas Light Addiction Problem) and PAP (Pixel Addiction Problem) were good for everyone but a few people managed to catch my cold too :(
Anyway on to my story. At the mini there was a computer control newbie who isn't an ACL member but who had contacted the venue via wiki info and attended both days. As he's not a member instead of using his name I'll call him an elf. This elf sounds like he has quite a decent static display and was looking at moving to computer control. Prior to attending the mini he was looking at using a number of LOR AC boards for controlling his show. He had trawled the forums and the wiki and had a pretty good general knowledge. After attending the show he was in possession of several DMX controlled DC boards at about 1/5th of the cost per channel of the LOR boards, had the knowledge to modify his existing Big W and KMart strings so that they could be ran on the 1 DC voltage and had actually used his laptop to control a board and flashed some lights with a sequence he had made himself.
This elf may join the forums himself as we kept telling him there are a number of benefits which include being able to see links and attachments and access chat for real time support. Attending a mini and seeing for yourself what is out there and being able to talk person to person with others with the same afflictions will save so much time that you'll wish there was a mini every other weekend when you are starting out.
The elf in question looks like going from zero controlled channels to about 100 in year 1. A few others who got the PAP infection last weekend look like jumping from zero pixels to thousands of pixels and many thousands of channels in their first year of jumping into pixels.
If you can get to a mini then get to 1. You can learn sequencing, lighting types, safety, tips, get some comradeship and just see and talk everything blinky.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Yes, attending a mini can be a real eye opener.

There were a few people who were considering attending the Adelaide Mini as a possibility and for only a single day. Some of these people brought themselves to attend both days and I am sure they are glad that they did. The online streams for mini's are a good resource for those unable to attend for whatever reason but physically attending is the best option - you get to ask questions and see/feel/try things which are otherwise impossible or at least highly difficult to teach remotely.

I'm cold free despite sitting at the same table as origins of this mysterious contagious disease which is unlike CLAP or PAP. Unfortunately that was not to be for some of the other "non-LOR" attendees :eek: . Maybe being LOR is a cold repellent - but then how did AAH get it in the first place? Have you touched LSP or something? :D ;)

I do hope this 'elf' (as you call them) does bring themselves to sign up - they'll definitely see the benefit, especially like you say with the chat room for quick help. There's no requirement to use a real name so feel free to come up with a username which is completely fictional.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I've been attending minis when I can for a few years now. Has been a lot better since the disease has spread over the country and I don't have to travel so far! Having said that I am glad I travelled to Melbourne in the early days because there are a lot of people I wouldn't have met otherwise. Demos are always good and really enjoy seeing someone showing off their hard work through stuff they've built or are developing. Kudos to those who put in the hard yards to organise these minis, no matter how big or small the gathering is.
Interesting to hear that a mini has attracted membership. Good stuff. :)

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Being that the last mini I attended was actually the first mini i have been to, definately opened my eyes up a bit. Im glad I got to meet and discuss blinky things with everyone because I now have a much better understanding of other ways to do displays other then just my own way.

If you havent been to a mini Expo. Get to one.. Well worth the fuel costs.

Karob

Let there be Light!
I have now been to 2 Adelaide Mini's.
The 1st mini cost me about $1200, the second mini has not cost me a thing as yet but reinforced to me that I have learnt alot since starting this very addictive hobby.
I really hope that "Elf" will join us on this forum as the mini can only guide you so far in your yearly setup, if it was not for the mini I would not have tried pixels, but without the forum and chat I would not have been able to set up my display and get what I did out of it.
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to put a mini together, maybe one day I will get the chance to travel to a interstate mini and meet the people that I have learnt so much from.

i13

Dedicated elf
I am the “elf” and this is my first post.

I can’t thank AAH enough for his generous amount of help; it was the best thing that’s happened to me on my way to computerised lighting. LOR was my original plan but the mini reinforced my decision to use a DMX controlled DC setup instead. I’m also left with unanswered questions that popped up since the mini so I’m sure you’re all right about the benefits of signing up here.

Thanks also to everyone involved in organising the mini as it was fantastic!

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
i13 said:
I am the “elf” and this is my first post.

I can’t thank AAH enough for his generous amount of help; it was the best thing that’s happened to me on my way to computerised lighting. LOR was my original plan but the mini reinforced my decision to use a DMX controlled DC setup instead. I’m also left with unanswered questions that popped up since the mini so I’m sure you’re all right about the benefits of signing up here.

Thanks also to everyone involved in organising the mini as it was fantastic!

welcome back elf man. Start a thread, or jump into chat, your answers are waiting to be answered.

Glad you enjoyed the mini and that you have joined the forums.

Boof63

Senior elf
Welcome Elf, as an elf last September, these guys here are full of knowledge (as you saw at the mini) and are more thank willing to help out with any queries you may have or knowledge you may have to pass on.
Cheers Boof63 :D :D

i13

Dedicated elf
I thought this would be a good place for my 1000th post.

I can't believe how far I've come in my time here. I've gone from not knowing what an Ethernet port is to running and configuring my own pixels, using xLights and helping answer today's new members' questions.

That 2013 Adelaide mini was an excellent learning experience. I've been to a mini every year except for 2020 in the coronavirus pandemic. The traditional LED strings will always have a place in my display.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. I look forward to writing another 1000 posts.