ShellNZ soldering tips

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Bundy,
the cleaner Doug mentioned are great, heaps better than a wet sponge. You can also use a stainless pot scourer thingy that would probably be a bit cheaper.

Wet sponges can cool your tip and I believe the water boiling on the tip can damage the surface of the tip over time??

you can always just wipe it on an old dry cloth
Cheers
Fing

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I use the damp (not soaking wet) sponge on my Hakko irons and don't have a problem. The sponge has a hole in the middle so you drag the tip against the hole edge.

If you have water boiling on the tip the sponge is too wet. I soak the sponge then squeeze most of the water out.

pookie

New elf
Ah yes, I remember the many days in the soldering class getting a good lung full of fumes.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi OzAz,

you want to deliver the soldering 101 at the Sydney Mini???

Cheers
Fing

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Fing said:
Hi OzAz,

you want to deliver the soldering 101 at the Sydney Mini???

Cheers
Fing
the 1998 mini maybe? Haven't lifted a soldering iron for decades.
Main issue is, whilst I'm hoping to get to Sydney mini, I can't guarantee I'll be there. Partner's daughter is turning 18 and she's having a massive party with a live band and I'm supposed to help set up and be there. Trust me I'd rather be anywhere than there. ::)

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
BundyRoy said:
When I go to clean my soldering tip a little "ball" of solder drags along behind the tip on the wet sponge and doesn't seem to want to detach. Is this normal or does it mean dry sponge/too hot/too cold/stuffed tip/too much solder. It's annoying me and it would be good if I could make it stop. Can't remember it being an issue last year.

Thanks.
yes myself over the years have used all methods of cleaning the tip . Sponge, scourers, green scourers work well too . But may not be right but basically use anything thats next to me rags , tissue workpants etc . Have no trouble although am careful as could be fire risk . But never been a big deal for me ! . but would always recommend spend a little more money to get decent solder with a good flux and should never have a problem.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks all. I was thinking an edge on my sponge would be a great help. Part of the issue I think is the sponge is under the iron holder in the station and it limits the angle you can hold the iron when cleaning. I'll give the steel wool a crack and see how it goes.