new design maybe for arches

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Hi all i was at a new years ever fire works display and there was a guy selling led battons and to my supprise they were quite bright i went to get one but he sold out i had a look at how he made them he had 6 leds powered by a coin style battery but the interesting thing was they were made from white pool noodle material . The light dispersion was quite good so i made one quickly with store bought dc leds out of the foam they use on the poles used to hold the safety net on trampolines if everyone can add input to this post we may find a cheaper way to make them if the other guys trying to source plastic tubing doesnt workout here is a quick video
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=958876150807110&set=vb.100000542015774&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The pool noodles would be worth a try although they may be more closed cell (denser) than the trampoline bar covers?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I checked out pool noodles at Kmart today. They only had red, blue and copper/gold colours - no white.

The hole in the middle looks big enough to thread a pixel strip through, but the foam would be too thick for the light to pass though with any usable intensity.

I haven't seen any of the trampoline pole covers in Kmart, Big W, etc.

Habbosrus

Back again
I have queries in with some Chinese manufacturers of epe foam products and 2 Australian manufacturers/distributors. I will have more info in the coming weeks. I have samples pending from the the 2 Australian companies and I am in discussion with with 2 of the Chinese manufacturers for samples. I wasn't going to say too much until I had hard proof, numbers, $$'s, tests, etc. I have requested quotes for a number of different sizes/diameters. A Chinese supplier has an off the shelf size of 95mm OD x 40mm ID. I thought this was too big and was looking at 80mm OD x 30mm ID. My thinking is this will slip over 25mm conduit and led strip quite well. Any thoughts or suggestions going forward are greatly appreciated. What do you think is a fair price for a 3 metre length of epe foam tube?

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
i was thinking the lights went into the bare tube also but a 20 mm conduit up the inside would help with stability

Habbosrus

Back again
David_AVD said:
Ah... I was assuming the lights went into the tube bare. Hadn't thought about a conduit.
That was just my take on it David, to give it some stability. If one was to put wire in it, for instance, one could also make a bunch of different patterns with it too. Again, just my take on it. With the wealth of talent here in ACL, the skies the limit.