Beagleboneblack (bbb) setup

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
For those that are trying to setup a Beagleboneblack (bbb) to control P10 panels with an octoscroller the process is currently a bit convoluted. This is expected to be fixed shortly with the imminent release of Falcon Player (FPP) 1.5. The current process is documented over at http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Falcon_FPP_BBB#How_to_install_Falcon_Player_onto_BeagleBone_Black

For those like myself and jb09 who have no knowledge of Linux apparently putty isn't something you buy at Bunnings to repair woodwork. It appears from the link above to be something Linux related. Who knew.

When CaptainMurdoch over at Falcon Christmas gets FPP 1.5 sorted I'm sure the process will become easier and I will update the info in here.

multicast

Senior elf
"puTTY" is one of several programs you can use to create a "Terminal" Session on a device that supports them.. Its like a virtual screen and keyboard that is connected over a network.

Typically the protocol that it goes over is something called "Secure Shell" or "SSH". Its encrypted so when you put things like passwords over it, it can't be snooped on.

You'll typically find something called a "ssh client".. Any decent OS has one built in, or if you insist on using windows, you'll have to get a third party one.

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

It is not that tricky to set it up now. AussiePhil posted some instructions which wer quite easy to follow without having to understand much about the commands. Anyone needs help and does not want to wait for the image, please sing out.

I understand that what we are using is almost the final release ms the images are almost ready and are being fine tuned.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I notice Hanson Electronics has both the Octoscrolla with and without an RTC.

Which one would I need for the P10 and BeagleBone Black?

Cheers

Geoff

bbayjohn

Senior elf
gnarmstr From what Ive read and understand so far is it would depend how you intend to run your p10 panels. The RTS is for a clock so you could program the start and stop time Octoscrolla. So if running them stand alone mode maybe you may want a rtc. But if you are running the p10 connected to your network then you don't need the rts.

Come back Alan we need you

gerry

Senior elf
I use an Octoscroller without an RTC and that is because I have a Wifi dongle on the BBB that is connected to my home network to get the time and updates. It (the wifi) is also used to connect to the master FPP for multisynch.

richardd

Full time elf
Re: Beagleboneblack (bbb) setup

I would like to have a play with the P10's and the Beagle Bone Black (BBB) where is the best place in Australia to the the BBB and the Octoscroller?

i13

Dedicated elf
There are several places where you can get the BeagleBone Black; Element14 is an example. Note that the BeagleBone Green is sometimes cheaper and I think that still works.

Hanson Electronics sells a clone of the octoscroller board.